Thread: How to ask updating packages in universe repository?

Beans

How to ask updating packages in universe repository?

Hello.

I'm starting using ubuntu 20.04 and find a open-source package which I want to use is old version release in universe repository.
    How to ask ubuntu developers or maintainers to replace from old to the newest?

Thanks,
    inurindd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How to ask updating packages in universe repository?

Quote Originally Posted by inurindd View Post
    I'm starting using ubuntu 20.04 and find a open-source package which I want to use is old version release in universe repository.
    Old versions are more stable, better tested. That's the very reason why a long-term distribution such as Ubuntu 20.04 with 5 years of support is using those.

They can't do that even if they wanted to, as per policy of providing a stable, well-tested long-term distribution which is exactly the point of Ubuntu 20.04.

Alternative idea:

Why not use alternative package sources such as e.g. FlatPak? The chance of your application existing in a higher version there is much better.
    https://linuxhint.com/install-use-flatpak-ubuntu/

Also, there are so called "PPA" that sometimes may contain newer versions of certain packages than what is inside the standard repositories. But PPA packages might break stuff. Since you didn't tell us which package it is you want I can't point you to any PPA archive. You'll have to google that yourself then.

Which application is it anyway?
    Last edited by scorp123; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:08 AM.

Beans

Hi scorp123,
    Thank you for your reply and I understand the policy

I've installed Kismet and it's "kismet-plugins_2016.07.R1-1.1~build2_amd64.deb" in universe repo. However, I'd like to use Kismet(2020-12-R3) for supporting 802.11ac and have rich web UI.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You don't. The Universe repository is specifically those packages that aren't maintained by the Ubuntu developers. Even for the packages that are maintained by Ubuntu developers, with a small handful of specific exceptions, packages aren't upgraded to a higher version number during an Ubuntu release's lifetime; security and bug fixes are backported to the versions in the repositories.

If you just want a newer version to use you might be able to find a PPA, snap, Flatpak, or AppImage of the software in question. If you want Ubuntu to pick up newer versions of the software in future Ubuntu releases you can become its package maintainer for Ubuntu (or Debian, or both).
    Last edited by CatKiller; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I've installed Kismet
    Kismet devs have made their own repository.

Beans

Another option:
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas?name_filter=kismet

Could try one of those. These obviously come with the caveats of a PPA. Remeber to filter the PPA for your release. Not all PPAs support all releases

Beans

I have an application which maintains it's own repository and I simply add that repository to my sources. Then whenever the developers push a new update I get it in the normal update process. As long as the developers keep it up to date it works well. I'm a little leery of PPAs since I don't know how well they will be maintained.

Another option is to use a snap, if one exists.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    I'm a little leery of PPAs since I don't know how well they will be maintained.
    It's swings and roundabouts, really. PPAs are hosted on Launchpad, so there's an avenue to get it sorted if the packages turn out to be malicious, and ppa-purge is a really handy tool. But, yes, the packages could have been created by some random Internet person rather than the application's devs. Generally because the dev doesn't want to, though.

Snaps are intended to address the discoverability issue that PPAs have, but they still suffer from the potential abandonment issue that PPAs and other external repositories have, and they could also come from a random Internet person rather than the application's devs; if a dev wants to officially take over maintenance of an existing snap, though, then they can.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

This forum is a great place to ask before enabling any PPA; it is very likely that many users on this forum have used the "good, safe" PPAs and also that users will already know of problems that might arise if a PPA is not safe.

For the record, I have many PPAs enabled, eg, openshot, handbrake, chromium-dev, audio-recorder and Libre-office, all of which are working without any difficulties or problems.

Beans

Thanks all again