Thread: Help with ssh error "Unable to connect to X server" xrdp not working

Beans

Help with ssh error "Unable to connect to X server" xrdp not working

Hi, I usually have luck installing sshd and using xrdp to connect to my desktop. However, I'm having issues with 20.04 load that has only got worse as I messed around.

I looked at a few guides like these two:

https://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=14965

https://www.ubuntupit.com/how-to-ins...-linux-system/

I have sshd installed and configured but after I had issues I first tried following this guide before referencing either of the two above:

https://devanswers.co/how-to-fix-aut...culprit-polkit

This caused issues with the authentication prompt Not coming up on my laptop to install the latest updates.
    So, I removed the file I created with this guide >
    "/etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/02-allow-colord.conf"

But, ever since I removed that file I'm now getting this error when I ssh to my laptop that's running 20.04

Last login: Sun Apr 18 17:14:36 2021 from 10.16.0.21
    Unable to connect to X server

I'm trying to fix the "Unable to connect to X server" message that seems to be causing issues with RDP certificate.

I changed my xrpd port and when I connect to the port I get this error.

Also, I already added user to certificate>
    https://www.ubuntupit.com/how-to-ins...-linux-system/
    sudo adduser xrdpssl-cert

This is what it shows when I use the tunnel connection similar to the first two article I posted.
    This Windows error.

I was able to get the xrdp xfce desktop to come up also but this is a less than ideal solution.

Essentially I want to figure out why I'm getting this error via ssh>?
    "Unable to connect to X server"

I already tried completely removing xrdp and sshd and re-installing but I'm still getting this error.

Thanks for any help. Let me know if I need to provide any xrdp.log files or journal entries,etc.
    I seem to be off on my troubleshooting today. I believe I might need to modify my startwm.sh file or something.
    Last edited by vw16v; April 19th, 2021 at 01:00 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Help with ssh error "Unable to connect to X server" xrdp not working

Just curious, is your Windows system running an X/Server? You'd need to go out of your way to install and configure that.
    For many people, x2go is a better solution to connect from Windows into a Linux desktop. Just don't use Gnome3 as the DE. Choose something lighter, like XFCE or LXQt.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Just curious, is your Windows system running an X/Server? You'd need to go out of your way to install and configure that.
    For many people, x2go is a better solution to connect from Windows into a Linux desktop. Just don't use Gnome3 as the DE. Choose something lighter, like XFCE or LXQt.
    No, my Windows is not running any vnc / xserver. I don't have remote desktop enable on my Windows box. I just like connecting to my Linux boxes via xrdp over ssh.

I created a new user account and when I connect via ssh using the new user I don't get the "Unable to connect to X server" message. I think something with my main user account got messed up in a profile setting causing this issue.
    I still get that certificate error so my connection might potentially be vulnerable to man in the middle attacks if I decide to connect remotely.

However, all my current connections are done within my LAN. I'm going to check out the x2go application and maybe mess around with that.

I believe I might be able to potentially fix my main user account from getting this error. "Unable to connect to X server"

I think the /home/'user'/.xsession-error file should allow me to figure this out.

It's not as bad as it was a few days ago. I used to be really good at configuring secure remote connections. I never remember seeing these .pem keys.
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 Apr 19 18:15 cert.pem -> /etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 38 Apr 19 18:15 key.pem -> /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key

My other Linux load that I connect to like this without errors does not have these certificate type files.

I don't get any errors or warnings on that system with connection to the xrdp tunnel with putty.

Beans

You are connecting from Windows to Ubuntu Linux? Do you have an an X server running on Windows? Do you have an X server (not Wayland) on Linux?

"XFCE or LXQt." - As alluded to above, these use Xorg. So if you install one of them, then your "cannot connect to X server" problem should be fixed on the Linux side at least.
    Last edited by HermanAB; April 22nd, 2021 at 09:09 AM.