Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Unable to instal Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 on WIndows 7 (Dual Boot)

Beans

Re: Unable to instal Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 on WIndows 7 (Dual Boot)

Impavidus, the partitions may be screwed up. Hard to tell (although Ihad been using this laptop for the past 10 years and no problems occured). Thing is what to do about it? Any ideas? And remember..I'm a layman when it comes to partitions and stuff. So if you have any ideas, let me know.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The other thing that Windows does is convert to a proprietary dynamic partitioning scheme that Linux does not normally work with. Shown as SFS or LDM.

Post these:
    sudo parted -l
    sudo fdisk -lu
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Chances are this problem appeared recently, when you attempted to create a partition for Ubuntu. Your partitioning tool tried to be clever by creating non-adjacent logical partitions. Sufficiently naïve tools don't even notice that there's a primary partition overlapping your logical partition, so it works most of the time, but other partitioning tools may not be able to handle this. Maybe the partitioning tool you used to create this layout can undo it. Else, it is shuffling things around manually (and I'm not confident enough I can tell you how to do it exactly) or wiping the drive and starting fresh.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by luke486 View Post
    I'm new to linux so bear with me.
    I wanted to install Ubuntu alongside windows 7 on my laptop. The problem is that the computer doesn't see any of the windows partitions (I also created one just for linux). It offers to erease the whole disk.
    Attached is the printscreen.
    Any ideas how to fix it?

P.S. I tried WUBI but it doesn't work as well. It won't find the iso file in the dvd drive.

Thanks,
    Lukasz.
    Thee Ubuntu installation procedure usually states another Operating System has been detected then asks if you want to install Ubuntu (not sure of exact wording) beside current Operating System, Use the entire disk or Advanced Options where you should be able to install it to the partition you created for it.

Geoff

Beans

I used Acronis Disk Director 12 to create the partitions (not Partition Magic like I mentioned earlier). This program has always worked for me. Well, anyways, thanks for your reply.

Beans

I do know that this is what normally happens during the installation. It's not happening in this case, hence my posts here.

Beans

I say chaps,
    I installed Ubuntu onto my Samsung Series9 laptop which is pretty old now. It came with W8, but worked better with W7 - until it got some malware so I formatted its disk and did Ubuntu. My point is that Ubuntu 18 works just fine, and I'm totally happy with it, but it refuses to upgrade to 20. I assume that the laptop can't cope with 20. So anyone with an older computer (which came with W7) shouldn't be too ambitious for the latest version.
    TTFN
    Rickticktock

Beans

My Lenovo W520 (UEFI but pre secure boot) came with Windows 7, and runs Ubuntu 20.04 just fine. Didn't Samsung have limited nvram problems early on? I know at some point, grub(?) got enthusiastic about adding boot entries, and jumped from six or so boot entries to 24 -- everything you could image, on disks that didn't even exist. Maybe try a legacy install, or maybe just a legacy grub (strange, but the legacy grub.cfg does not prevent Ubuntu from booting UEFI-- wont work for Windows however).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Full Ubuntu may be an issue.

I used to install standard Ubuntu and then when Ubuntu went to Unity installed the fallback/flashback gui which was lighter weight. I used this on my old laptop, but for consistency used it also on desktops.
    Recently converted to 20.04 Kubuntu as main working install on desktops, and decided to try it on old laptop. It worked and is ok, even though one of the lighter weight flavors may be better.
    Old laptop would not install standard Ubuntu 20.04, originally had to install 20.04 server & then fallback which was a bit of a hassle.
    Kubuntu just installed & worked. That laptop only has 1.5GB of RAM so is now very limited.

Older systems:
    Light weight flavors:
    Lubuntu, xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, Budgie
    Last edited by oldfred; May 13th, 2021 at 06:37 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234