Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unable to instal Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 on WIndows 7 (Dual Boot)

Beans

Unable to instal Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 on WIndows 7 (Dual Boot)

I'm new to linux so bear with me.
    I wanted to install Ubuntu alongside windows 7 on my laptop. The problem is that the computer doesn't see any of the windows partitions (I also created one just for linux). It offers to erease the whole disk.
    Attached is the printscreen.
    Any ideas how to fix it?

P.S. I tried WUBI but it doesn't work as well. It won't find the iso file in the dvd drive.

Thanks,
    Lukasz.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Unable to instal Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 on WIndows 7 (Dual Boot)

Welcome.

First of all, Windows 7 is out of support and shouldn't be used online under NO CIRCUMSTANCE.
    So, you may consider replacing it instead of a dual-boot.

If you still want to do a dual-boot after all this warnings please check whether or not you're using: 1) RAID or Intel RST modes in BIOS/UEFI -> It must be AHCI but if you change this mode without installing the corresponding support in Windows, it won't boot; or 2) Dynamic partitions in Windows -> This are Microsoft proprietary and incompatible with Linux, there's no solution other than format.

Now, it's up to you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Welcome to the forums, luke486

There are others here who are far better at helping you with your dual boot question, so I will leave the technical aspects to them.

I just wanted to comment on your larger picture. Please feel free to ignore me if my advice is not suitable to your needs:

1. I'm sure you realize that Win 7 has been EoL for a long time now and running it on its own separate partition is a bad idea due to the extreme security risk that it now represents.
    2. Hence, you may wish to run it within a Virtual Machine instead. This can be done quite nicely if you install Ubuntu as your sole OS, then install a VM like VirtualBox or VMWare or Linux's native hypervisor, KVM.
    3. WUBI has been dead for years. It is no longer under active development, is no longer maintained, and always was a terrible kludge that rendered installs exceedingly brittle. Not at all recommended.
    4. If you wish to run Windows in a dual boot with Ubuntu, at least move to Win 10 which is up to date and continues to be patched.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Yes, as already mentioned by CelticWarrior and DuckHook, Windows 7 is unsupported and should be removed or, alternatively, upgraded to Windows 10.

This website may also help you https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Wubi is now dead and just about buried so forget that, though I believe there is a version of it totally unsupported by Ubuntu or Caninical.
    Wubi was never intended to be used as a means of a full dual boot system as it was more like running a huge program (Ubuntu) in Windows, rather than a "real" dual boot.

Your screenshot looks like it is from Windows; is that correct, and is the one disk shown the correct size for your hard disk?
    How did you attempt to install Ubuntu? How did you create the install medium, and was that a DVD or USB?

Some USB installation disk creation programs available for Windows, eg Rufus will I believe create a UEFI boot disk only, but Windows 7 was always installed in BIOS mode so that may be the problem you have seen. Windows 7 is now EOL so you shpould not be using it any more, certainly not as an internet facing system.

Give us as much detailed information as you can and we will try to assist but at present there is not enough to help you much further.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Please remember to use Windows tools to create/delete/move/resize Windows partitions and always run Windows defrag afterward. Use Linux/Ubuntu tools to create/delete/move/resize Linux partitions.

This is confusing me.

The problem is that the computer doesn't see any of the windows partitions (I also created one just for linux). It offers to erease the whole disk.
    Instead of "computer" do you mean the Ubuntu installer? If the hard drive does not have enough unallocated space to create a partition or two to install Ubuntu in it will most likely only offer to Erase Disc and Install Ubuntu. The installer should have offered you the option of Something Else. That option will allow you to choose which partition to install Ubuntu in.

This is some useful information about dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu. It is from the Windows 7 time period.

https://ubuntu.com/blog/how-to-upgra...u-installation

Do not install Ubuntu 18.04. The Ubuntu you should be installing is Ubuntu 20.04.

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:00 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Windows 7 isn't supported anymore that's true, however security is not my concern. The laptop on which it's installed is used just for "experiments". No worries there. I will take a look at what you wrote about dynamic partitions and all. At this point It's hard for me to refer to these methods as I lack knowledge.
    Thanks for your reply.

Beans

Windows 7 isn't supported anymore that's true, however security is not my concern. The laptop on which it's installed is used just for "experiments". No worries there. I will take a look at what you wrote about dynamic partitions and all. At this point It's hard for me to refer to these methods as I lack knowledge.
    Thanks for your reply.

Beans

Thanks for your reply. I do use Windows 10 on every day basis. The Windows 7 and the laptop on which it is installed isn't used for any sensitive work. I have no experience with Virtal boxes, I'll read about it, though. Thanks again.

Beans

The screenshot is from the Ubuntu installer. I downloaded ISO image and burned it onto DVD. So then I put the DVD into the drive, rebooted the computer and the installation began smoothly. At some point the installation process reaches the partitioning part and what pops up is the screenshot. And yes, the disk size is correct, but it shows as the whole disk instead of windows partitions and one partition which I created for linux (EXt4 I think).
    It's very strange beacause I have an old PC Desktop with Windows 7 as well and I managed to install Ubunto alongside Windows with no problem (using the same steps as descrived above).
    What other specific information would be helpful for you?

Thanks,
    Lukasz.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast