Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unable to instal Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 on WIndows 7 (Dual Boot)

Beans

Re: Unable to instal Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 on WIndows 7 (Dual Boot)

Yes, I mean the installer. The unallocated space is not a problem. I had created a whole separate partition for linux (Ext4 I think). Even if there was no space, the installer usually gives me an option to shrink partiition C with Windows on it. But not this time...strange.
    I was able to install Ubuntu on an old Desktop computer with Windows 7 on it as well. But the laptop is problematic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had created a whole separate partition for linux (Ext4 I think)
    No, you couldn't have created an EXT4 partition from Windows.
    And no partition is needed, unallocated space is and unallocated space isn't a partition. The installer should detect the unallocated space and use it in the "install alongside" option. It can also offer to shrink other partitions to have unallocated space where then to create its own required partitions for the Ubuntu installation. That, however, won't happen is MBR ("msdos") drives with 4 primary partitions already, a limitation of the old partitioning table, not the installer's or Ubuntu's.

But again, DON'T USE WINDOWS 7!!!!
    Simply choose "Erase and install..." and problem solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Having nothing sensitive or valuable on that computer isn't enough to stop worrying about hackers on Windows 7 (or any other system). They may be interested in other things than stealing your files or taking them hostage. For example, sending spam, routing (or hosting) questionable content, mining bitcoins, cracking other people's passwords, running ddos attacks, whatever. So best to simply wipe Windows 7. If you continue using it, make sure it isn't connected to the web.

If you want to know what's going on now, let us have a look at your current partitioning. That screenshot isn't very clear. Try this in a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    (that's a lower case ell)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    Having nothing sensitive or valuable on that computer isn't enough to stop worrying about hackers on Windows 7 (or any other system). They may be interested in other things than stealing your files or taking them hostage. For example, sending spam, routing (or hosting) questionable content, mining bitcoins, cracking other people's passwords, running ddos attacks, whatever. So best to simply wipe Windows 7. If you continue using it, make sure it isn't connected to the web.
    @OP

As per Impavidus's warning, your machine getting pwned isn't just about you but is about the rest of us. The drones of the various botnets that infest the internet are comprised of pwned machines with exactly such dead OSes as yours.

Furthermore, a pwned machine serves as a wide open gateway into your LAN, which the scumbags then leverage to infect the rest of your private network. In fact, it is the classical method to bypass router firewalls. Once in, the rest of your LAN is wide open to them, especially given the fact that such a cavalier approach to the most highly compromised OS ever developed means you're unlikely to have implemented any defence in depth.

Beans

You can still upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 if you wish to. Simply go to Windows Media Creation Tool website.

Beans

Thanks about your advice on Windows 7, I'll keep that in mind. As far as EXT4, actually I was able to create it on Windows. I used the program called Partition Magic. It allows for creating any partition you want, including partitions devoted to linux.
    I get the idea of unalloctaed space but since I am a bit cautios about partitioning during the linux instllation - I've always don it this way: I would create linux partition (EXT , Riser or whatever else linuex can run on), run the installation DVD, the installer would show all the partitions available (windows partitions AND the linux one that I had created), next I would choose the EXT4 and install linux on it. There was ususally the second option that came with the installer - I could choose to shrink Windows on the C partition and install linux alongside it. All done automatically, of course. Sadly, none of the mentioned options work now. The command line you gave me wouldn't really help much at this point since I the only OS on my laptop is Windows 7. I can try and use it on on my PC (on which I have WIndows 7 and Ubuntu installed) and see what it tells me (I had no problems with installing Ubuntu on this machine)

Beans

Again, thanks for your concern but that's not the issue I turned to you guys about.

Beans

Resize the NTFS in Windows, then install Ubuntu to the freed space. NTFS is proprietary to Microsoft so only they know how it really works.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If NTFS is hibernated or corrupted (needing chkdsk), then Linux NTFS driver will not see it.
    If drive converted to proprietary dynamic partitions, Linux NTFS driver will not see it.

Post these from live installer in live mode, to see partitions:
    sudo parted -l
    sudo fdisk -lu
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

OK, I'll try these commands in live mode and make a printscreen; I'll also try to resize the NTFS partition like you suggested before trying to install Ubuntu. One thing bothers me though. Let's say the NTFS partition (converted to EXT4) is corrupted and Linux NTFS driver doesn't see it, but why wouldn't the linux installer offer me to shrink the C partition with Windows 7 on? Is the C partition also corrupted? If so, WIndows doesn't mind it, I guess .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast