Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with Samba related to moving WIndows desktop files to newly installed Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Problem with Samba related to moving WIndows desktop files to newly installed Ubu

Sure, just use something like Filezilla on Windows. There are even applications to mount SFTP in Windows (when doesn't Windows need another application to do anything remotely useful?). File sharing is a basic thing. Doesn't need a server OS. You could even use NFS which Windows can access natively. Loads options

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Problem with Samba related to moving WIndows desktop files to newly installed Ubu

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    when doesn't Windows need another application to do anything remotely useful?

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    Sure, just use something like Filezilla on Windows. There are even applications to mount SFTP in Windows. File sharing is a basic thing. Doesn't need a server OS. You could even use NFS which Windows can access natively. Loads options
    cool will try them out.

thank you.

Beans

Re: Problem with Samba related to moving WIndows desktop files to newly installed Ubu

Quote Originally Posted by ipv2 View Post
    1. on the windows machine share a folder / folders & grant read / write access.

2. on the ubuntu machine : files > other locations > in the enter server address box = smb://ipaddressofwindowsmachine > connect > pop-up window for authorization > shared folders from windows.

note : you do not need samba for this method.
    I got so fixated on the installed samba incorrectly reference I lost sight of what the OP was trying to do. He's trying to "pull" files from Win10 to Linux. You are 98.76% correct. The Linux client to this Win10 server does not require the samba ( server ) package to be installed. The file manager as you described uses a samba client library ( libsmbclient ) to connect to the share and that is installed by default.

Side note: You don't need any 3rd party application to set up an SSH server on WIn10. It already has that capability it just needs to be enabled:
    Settings > Apps -> Apps & features > Optional Features > OpenSSH Server
    Then it needs to be started:
    Services > OpenSSH SSH Server
    You can either start it manually at that point or have it start automatically at boot which ... oh I don't know ... I guess you can do ... but I'd rather start it only when needed.

Then go through the same process you described for smb in Nautilus - except using ssh:
    Code:
     ssh://win10-user-name@server
    Where "server" can be the Win10 mDNS hostname ( win10.local for example ) or its ip address.
    Last edited by Morbius1; April 21st, 2021 at 12:31 PM.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Problem with Samba related to moving WIndows desktop files to newly installed Ubu

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    You are 98.76% correct.

will surely check out the ssh thingy.

thank you.

Beans

They are in the same network.

Mark

Beans

i did not see the "grant read/write" access , but, I did go to the File, sharing, advanced sharing, permissions, checked each of these three boxes: "full control" , "change" , "read"

Then, as you suggested, on the Ubuntu account (which is on a different computer, but in the same network, I " on the ubuntu machine : files > other locations > in the enter server address box = smb://ipaddressofwindowsmachine > connect > pop-up window for authorization > shared folders from windows."

The repsonse was "No results found. Try a different search." Any suggestions (I have Windows 10). THanks, Mark

Beans

Install WinSCP on the Windows machine. Then install the openssh-server package on the Ubuntu box. Use WinSCP to connect to the Ubuntu box via SCP. If the Linux box doesn't respond to a "hostname" just use its IP address instead. You'll have a two-pane file manager you can use to move stuff back and forth between the machines.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; April 25th, 2021 at 03:38 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Question Re: Problem with Samba related to moving WIndows desktop files to newly installed Ubu

Quote Originally Posted by markb60000 View Post
    I did go to the File
    are you sharing a single file or a folder?

on a different computer, but in the same network
    this is lan sharing right? as in both the computers are plugged in via a cable in to the same router.

The repsonse was "No results found. Try a different search."
    strange! it is not a search.

I have Windows 10
    windows : control panel > network & internet > network & sharing settings > advanced sharing settings >

1. private : on & on

2. guest / public : off & off

3. all networks : off 128bit off

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12