Thread: Change 20.04 kernel

Beans

Change 20.04 kernel

I hope someone can help me here.

I installed 20.04 in a kvm guest. I used the kvm kernel to do this thinking it was tweaked for kvm guests. It is not. I would like to convert the machine to use the generic kernel but am having problems. I tried iinstall the kernel and modules and then booting to the kernel but the system just reboots.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Change 20.04 kernel

I was not even aware there was a KVM kernel; where did you find that and how do you install it?

Make sure you have the linux-generic package installed and that should pull in the most recent kernel package for you, currently 5.4.0-72.

What numbered version do you have installed?
    You should be able to see that from command ls /boot | grep vmlinuz.

EDIT:
    I was using ArcoLinux when I posted last time so had no way to search kernel availability in Ubuntu but have since booted to Ubuntu so I now where the KVM version came from, therefore no need to answer that part of my post.

However the rest of it still stands; install linux-generic package along with the dependencies then remove any of the kernel-kvm packages that you currently have, perhaps easiest done using g synaptic where you can search for packages by name using search term kvm.

I currently run several of the Ubuntu family of OSs in KVM/QEMU, all using the standard kernels and generally find no problems at all with any of them, even the as yet unreleased 21.04.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; April 16th, 2021 at 10:30 PM.

Beans

Images can be found here https://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/focal/current/

I installed the linux-generic but it doesnt boot to the new kernel. When i go into the grub menu and select the appropriate kernel it starts to boot then goes back to grub menu. I can boot into the generic kernel recovery mode. I then removed the kvm kernels and all related headers, images and modules. When i reboot it started to boot the generic kernel then reboot on its own. The second time it did boot.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thread moved to Virtualisation as the more appropriate forum.