Thread: Dual band router - Only connecting to one band - HughesNet Internet

Beans

Dual band router - Only connecting to one band - HughesNet Internet

Greetings!

I have an Acer Aspire laptop with the latest Ubuntu running, no dual boot. My modem/router has two bands. It's only connecting to wifi through the 5g band and not the 2g band.
    The laptop recognizes/sees both, I can access both of their settings.
    It automatically connects to the 5g, but when I try to connect to the 2g the password window keeps popping out, I click enter and it loads for some time then the window comes out again with the right password and all.
    On that window it also tells me I can press the WPS button to get the connection. I've tried that, but doesn't do anything.
    It's HughesNet Satellite Internet BTW.

I've tried disabling the 5g and forgetting it, but still doesn't connect to the 2g.

This doesn't occur on my other devices, yet this laptop is the only device with Ubuntu.

Any suggestions? Questions? Ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dual band router - Only connecting to one band - HughesNet Internet

"latest Ubuntu" isn't clear and usually, it isn't actually true. Today, non-experts shouldn't be running the "latest ubuntu", so please be exact.
    lsb_release -a is the command.
    or
    inxi -b

WPS shouldn't be used ... ever. It is a huge security failure.

2g wireless has been killed by many cellular providers, so I doubt that will ever work again. 5g has very limited availability in the world today. To get it, I'd have to drive a few miles.

To even begin to help, we'd need to know the exact modem used inside the ubuntu system.

I am confused that if you are trying to connect with 2g and 5g then what is satellite for?

Or am I missing something completely? Sometimes my brain is scattered.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

TheFu, I would bet the 2g and 5g are the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi bands, not cellular

crltxjojojo any chance the router is using TKIP encryption on 2.4GHz? See the wireless script link in my signature and post results

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

2g wireless has been killed by many cellular providers, so I doubt that will ever work again. 5g has very limited availability in the world today. To get it, I'd have to drive a few miles.

To even begin to help, we'd need to know the exact modem used inside the ubuntu system.

I am confused that if you are trying to connect with 2g and 5g then what is satellite for?
    I believe you are referring to 5G cellular but crltxjojojo is actually referring to the 2.4 gHz and 5 gHz bands of his 802.11x router. I also suspect that, in his case, internet connectivity is delivered, not by a wire or fiber optic cable, but from a satellite. This is often the only alternative in rural settings where the installation cost of a wire is quite high.

I would like to see the result of these terminal commands:
    Code:
    nmcli device wifi list
    iwlist freq
    Last edited by chili555; April 17th, 2021 at 03:20 PM.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ah ... 2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz wifi bands. <slaps forehead>! The 2.4 Ghz stuff is clearly 2.4 Ghz, but the 5.8 Ghz stuff ... seems to be from 5.18 GHz - 5.7 GHz. Confusing, at least to me.

Not that any of this actually matters except that 2.4 Ghz can generally go through most non-concrete walls and the 5Ghz channels really dislike walls.

Hopefully, the OP will return with some data.

Beans

You're correct on what I meant by 2g and 5g. Ghz.

This is one of the lines, number 180 of the txt file I made using your instructions.

WIFI-PROPERTIES.TKIP: yes

Says yes, so I need to remove/change that? You need other info besides that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is one of the lines, number 180 of the txt file I made using your instructions.
    May we see it, please? As it is probably rather lengthy, please post it here and give us the link: http://paste.ubuntu.com
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    May we see it, please? As it is probably rather lengthy, please post it here and give us the link: http://paste.ubuntu.com
    https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/shBHfn62DX/

There... I hope I did it correctly...