Thread: Asus U47VC laptop battery won't charge

Beans

Asus U47VC laptop battery won't charge

I have an Asus U47VC laptop, with Kubuntu installed. Kubuntu reported the battery health at 75%, but the battery life never exceeds 2%. I tried a brand new battery anyway. Kubuntu reported battery life at 99% but battery life still does not register as more than 2%. I then went onto the asus website and found these troubleshooting steps: https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1012793/. The power cord seems to be fine so far as I can tell. So, I tried an EC reset. Still only 2% battery life. They do not recommend doing a bios update without at least 20% of charge on the battery, so since there seems to be just 2% I have not done a bios update. What should I do? Should I try a bios update with just 2% on the battery? Could it be a driver issue? Could it be a motherboard issue? Any recommendations would be helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Asus U47VC laptop battery won't charge

Are you using the original AC adapter?
    Have you reset the UEFI ("BIOS") already?

Beans

I have the original AC adapter, as well as a replacement. The Replacement adapter admittedly produces an output with a smaller number of amps. In both cases the battery will not charge. I have not reset the bios yet, nor attempted a bios upgrade. I can do one or both of those, if you think it will help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Resetting is one of the suggestions in the link you posted. It makes sense to try it before thinking about upgrading.