Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which swap is used by which OS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: which swap is used by which OS

UEFI requires an ESP which is FAT32.
    But you are using MBR(msdos). UEFI wants gpt, but if a drive already is MBR, Ubuntu will not make you change it to gpt to prevent data loss.
    Windows in UEFI boot mode requires gpt, and that will auto convert a drive from MBR.

If redoing a drive, better to use gpt. With Ubuntu you can also use gpt with BIOS installs, if you have a bios_grub partition. I converted my first drive to gpt back in 2010 with Windows XP on another MBR drive.

GPT Advantages (older 2010 but still valid) see post#2 by srs5694:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1457901 &
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...antages_of_GPT
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I'm pretty sure this is out of my ability to comprehend, so I guess as long as my system is operating well I see no reason to be concerned about my little swap issues.
    That being said, oldfred, I'll play along for a bit. I think you are suggesting that I have a UEFI system. I disagree because I do not have a /sys/firmware/efi file. If this is true, can/should I add UEFI in place of mt Bios? Or should I just leave well enough alone?
    Last edited by sofasurfer; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:43 AM.

Beans

I think I solved my problem. I have a Dell Inspiron 660. Bios shows 'secure boot' disabled with no option to enable it. It also shows 'legacy' enabled with no other option. So I guess I'm just a legacy guy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You had no problem to solve to start with. It was all in your head.

If you have any "secure boot" mention in your firmware then it's UEFI but in your case "wrongly" (as in not recommended because there's absolutely no reason to) installed in Legacy/"BIOS" mode.

UEFI requires an ESP which is FAT32.
    But you are using MBR(msdos). UEFI wants gpt, but if a drive already is MBR, Ubuntu will not make you change it to gpt to prevent data loss.
    Windows in UEFI boot mode requires gpt, and that will auto convert a drive from MBR.

If redoing a drive, better to use gpt. With Ubuntu you can also use gpt with BIOS installs, if you have a bios_grub partition. I converted my first drive to gpt back in 2010 with Windows XP on another MBR drive.
    And better to install in UEFI mode in any UEFI based hardware, i.e., anything from at least 2012 or newer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12