Thread: Cant login to ubuntu anymore

Beans

Cant login to ubuntu anymore

When I start my PC I get to the purple welcome screen. I select my user and fill in the password (yes it is correct). Screen freezes, goes black for a second and then it goes back to the login screen.

Havent done anything weird before. What is going on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Cant login to ubuntu anymore

There are a number of different causes for the "login-loop" as this is called.
    Change to a different TTY (press cntl-alt-F1), login on the console, then run:
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt full-upgrade
    sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
    In theory, that will get your system fully patched and install any proprietary drivers - GPU, firmware, network. That's the theory.
    If stuff gets installed, reboot. That will automatically bring up the GUI tty - which is on cntl-alt-F7 or it was last time I checked.

There are a number of TTYs. Just try F1-F9 and hit the <enter> key a few times until the login: prompt is displayed.
    This is also handy when the GUI locks up, but everything else is fine. Switch to a different console, login and kill the program using the most CPU/RAM. Then switch back to the GUI console (C-A-F7?) and see if it is working again. Shouldn't even need to login again unless the session manager or Xorg or Wayland were the issue.

Anyway, this has a 30% chance of fixing it, especially for nvidia GPUs. That's my guess, nothing scientific. Worth a shot and having an updated system is always good.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Another possibility is that the permissions on your home directory on some files in it are messed up. When your GUI session cannot write to the files it needs, it may crash at once, sending you back to the login screen. On the console you can make sure all files and directories in your home directory are owned by you.

Beans

Also make sure you have free space on all file systems

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Can you get to a tty command line using Ctrl+Alt+F3 at the login screen and login there?

If that is successful it rather points to the hidden .Xauthority file having incorrect permissions or ownership.
    It must be owned by you, and you should have read/write permission but all others should have none.
    Check it from the tty with command ls -la .Xauthority which should show -rw-------