Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network manager disappeared

Beans

Network manager disappeared

hello,

experienced noob here

some time ago i started to have my wifi disconnected (later on it appeared that i just had to reboot the router). so i entered some commands in the terminal (don't really remember now which ones) which i googled.

as a result now i have no internet, no Network Manager icon on the top right corner, and when i go Settings=>Network it says "Oops, something has gone wrong. Please contact your software vendor. NetworkManager needs to be running." when i load Ubuntu from USB stick it's there and works fine..

i run Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS 32-bit ASUS P81IJ if this helps...

any recommendations?

thank you,
    Alex

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Network manager disappeared

i run Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS 32-bit ASUS P81IJ if this helps...

any recommendations?
    The computer has 64-bit hardware so the recommendation is to take advantage of this opportunity and just backup and reinstall 64-bit Ubuntu.
    Then avoid using commands that you googled somewhere and don't really remember later when you don't know what you're doing. If you have any problem ask here first.

Beans

thank you for your reply Changan CelticWarrior! this was not the solution i was looking for, but looks like i'll have to do it..
    CelticWarriorCelticWarrior

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    The computer has 64-bit hardware so the recommendation is to take advantage of this opportunity and just backup and reinstall 64-bit Ubuntu.
    Then avoid using commands that you googled somewhere and don't really remember later when you don't know what you're doing. If you have any problem ask here first.
    hey, i see here yum - What is the difference between i686 and x86_64 packages? - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange that my i686 "Technically, i686 is actually a 32-bit instruction set (part of the x86 family line), while x86_64 is a 64-bit instruction set (also referred to as amd64)."

are you sure 64-bit Ubuntu will work on my system? can you recommend which one? (i have 4 gb ram)

thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is this your laptop? -> https://www.notebookcheck.org/Asus-P81IJ.32818.0.html
    If so, it has this CPU. As usual, you can install a 32-bit OS in 64-bit hardware but not the other way around.
    Due to hardware's age and limitations prefer a lightweight distro like Xubuntu or Lubuntu. The standard Gnome based Ubuntu is too much for that (but works, albeit slowly).

Beans

thanx CelticWarrior! installed Lubuntu along with Ubuntu, looks like it works.. but i like my Ubuntu more.. maybe someone can help me with restoring NetworkManager in my Ubuntu? a bit busy now, tomorrow i will look back to my google searches and memory and will post here which commands i entered to terminal which caused NetworkManager to disappear...

Beans

emmm.. so i don't really remember which commands i entered to terminal.. but if anyone has any suggestions how to fix my issue, would be much grateful!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by podobin View Post
    emmm.. so i don't really remember which commands i entered to terminal..
    You don't have to remember. The system does the remembering for you. Either...

1 - Open a terminal and press the up arrow key repeatedly to view all your previous terminal commands from the most recent backwards.

Or...

2 - Open the hidden file in your home folder called .bash_history.

I'm assuming you know what a hidden file is and how to open it in a text editor. If not, post back and someone will be able to help you.

If you can find the relevant commands and post them, perhaps someone will be able to say what went wrong.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Or...

2 - Open the hidden file in your home folder called .bash_history.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    nm-tool
    sudo tee /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/wifi.scan-rand-mac-address.conf > /dev/null <<EOF [device]
    wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no
    EOF

sudo service network-manager restart
    sudo start network-manager
    $ ps -p1 | grep systemd && echo systemd || echo upstart
    sudo start networkmanager
    sudo ip addr
    nmcli help
    sudo tee /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/wifi.scan-rand-mac-address.conf > /dev/null <<EOF [device]c
    c
    service network-manager restart
    service network-manager status
    m
    nm-applet
    sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager restart
    sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
    ~$ root
    sudo NetworkManager
    sudo NetworkManager start
    sudo service network-manager start
    cat /etc/network/interfaces