Thread: 20.04 location of .bash_profile - xscreensaver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

20.04 location of .bash_profile - xscreensaver

Hi all,

I want to run a screensaver in ubuntu 20.04, but there does not appear to be a native option (reason - the LED screen throws a 'no input' message on a monitor that runs constantly when the input is blanked, burnt out the last one (or 'ghosted" it, anyway).)

Trying a few options online, I found that xscreensaver works. https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/ma...tup-Files.html

How do I change the bash script on startup to run this in the background automatically?

the attached refers to a bash_profile which I can not find.

(1) is there an easier option? or:
    (2) how can I set xscreensaver [a one word command] to run on startup?

(either/or....)

Regards, and with thanks in advance,

A
    Last edited by Andrew F in Australia; April 15th, 2021 at 06:04 AM.

Beans

Re: 20.04 location of .bash_profile - xscreensaver

This is probably what you're looking for to automatically start xscreensaver.

Normally the system sends a DPMS message to the display that tells it to switch itself into standby after being blanked for some time. For xscreensaver you can make some settings for this in 'xscreensaver-demo' on the 'Advanced' tab. 'xscreensaver-demo' is actually a program for setting up xscreensaver and not just a preview of the various screenhacks.

'~/.bash_profile' (notice the dot at the beginning of the name; by convention files names starting with a dot are not shown in file managers or by the 'ls' command) does not exist by default and would only be executed for an interactive login shell, so probably not in a GUI environment.

Holger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: 20.04 location of .bash_profile - xscreensaver

Thanks Holger,

Looking at it now.

Appreciate the time you took to reply.

Regards,

A