Thread: Video on NUC

Beans

Video on NUC

Someone just gave me an Intel NUC and I installed Ubuntu 20.04 on it. In comparing the display quality on the same 32" monitor between my old Ubuntu 14.04 and good quality graphics card and the NUC I am not happy with what I see. On the NUC blacks are kind of washed out compared to solid black on the 14.04 and overall resolution is not as sharp. Keep in mind I am comparing about a 6 year old graphics card to the NUC which should be latest technology. I know this has nothing to do with the Ubuntu version but I am wondering if this is just a standard thing with the NUC's and their built-in display controllers or maybe I need a driver or setting change. The NUC is a powerful little box with a I7 processor, 1 TB drive and 32G memory all in a box that fits in the palm of your hand but unfortunately you are stuck with the video and sound it provides. I am not stuck on it and I would move on to something better video wise if this can't be improved. Does anyone have any experience with this and possible suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Video on NUC

Quote Originally Posted by doug23 View Post
    On the NUC blacks are kind of washed out compared to solid black on the 14.04 and overall resolution is not as sharp.
    That definitely sounds like you've got something set incorrectly somewhere. In my experience the Intel integrated graphics, such as used in the NUC, are excellent at 2D and media decoding tasks, but lack performance for 3D tasks.

Your monitor requesting, or being sent, the wrong resolution would be the first place I'd look from your description.

Beans

Re: Video on NUC

I probably spoke a little soon about this. I ended up installing Ubuntu Mate which I have used for years on 14.04 and I really like the layout and presentation. Not that there is anything wrong with Ubuntu it is just a personal preference. Logically, at least for me, things are much better laid out and intuitive. The color contrast seems better so I will give it a chance.