Thread: Network Dead on Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS

Beans

Network Dead on Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS

I've been unable to connect to my server over my network for the past few days. I've been playing with it and can temporarily assign an IP, but can't get it to download or update packages. From what I've pieced together the issue has something to do with a netplan.io update being out of sync with libnetplan0. I saw a post that stated I could fix by manually downloading some packages, but I've never manually downloaded anything.

I used the following to temporarily assign an IP:
    sudo ifconfig ens160 up
    sudo ip addr add xx.xx.xx.xx/24 dev ens160
    sudo ip route add default via xx.xx.xx.1 dev eth0

When I attempt an update or upgrade command I get errors stating Temporarily failure resolving 'archive.ubuntu.com'. I'm at a loss on how to fix this. My system tells me I need to update network.io and I'd guess it will fix the issue, but not certain and don't know how to manually update it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Network Dead on Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS

Modern Ubuntu server releases use netplan by default. If everything is configured properly, it should set the DNS configuration in systemd-resolved and you'll be able to see the DNS servers in `cat /etc/resolv.conf` and `ls -alh /etc/resolv.conf` should point to a file under /run/systemd.

Edit:

Note that due to a bug in this release of systemd, if you've manually set DNSStubResolver=no in /etc/systemd/resolv.conf, it won't automatically switch to the other file, so you'd need to do so manually.

Otherwise, I'd post contents of:

Code:
    ls -alh /etc/resolv.conf
    cat /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf
    cat /run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf
    resolvectl status
    If it isn't too long (and put them in code blocks please ).
    Last edited by cipherboy_loc; April 14th, 2021 at 02:10 PM.

Beans

Re: Network Dead on Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS

I only have access to a terminal that won't let me copy text or maybe I don't know how. It was too much text to retype everything into code snippets. I took screenshots of the last 3 results.

Code:
    ls -alh /etc/resolv.conf
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 Feb 14 2019 /etc/resolv.conf -> ../run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolve.conf
    cat /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf
    1.jpg

cat /run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf
    2.jpg

resolvectl status
    3.jpg