Thread: "update-grub" command question

Beans

"update-grub" command question

The menu list of available Linux kernels is automatically generated by running update-grub (from ubuntu wiki).
    Do this mean that if I clone my OS to a new partition "update-grub" will add it to me boot menu? If so, is that all that is needed to have an operational dual boot system?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: "update-grub" command question

You will still only have one bootable system.
    You cannot have duplicate UUIDs mounted at same time. If actually mounted, it may use one partition, one time & next the next time, totally getting them out of sync.

Just do a new install & copy whatever you want from one system to another. I have many installs but have most data in a shared data partition which I mount in all of them. So when I boot another install to test it, it has the same data. I may not copy /home, if experimenting with different settings.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: "update-grub" command question

Leaving the issue of duplicate partition UUIDs aside for the moment - update-grub is a shell script that can be found at /usr/sbin/update-grub. The script executes grub-mkconfig. Which is also found at /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig. This shell script in turn calls other grub programs that scan all partitions on all drives for operating systems and generates a file called grub.cfg. Which is placed in /boot/grub. It is grub.cfg that is used to generate the Grub boot menu.

Just so we are a little bit clearer in our understanding of what is going on.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530