Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 21.04 beta

Re: 21.04 beta

Thanks again. I ran the boot repair and it says the problem is that it's in bios mode so am thinking just easier to re-install? What do I need to look for at install regarding setting efi?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have not done a conversion.
    Not sure if just installing the UEFI version of grub is all that is needed, I think it may need grub-install.

I think it will want to know the ESP - efi system partition. And when reinstalling in UEFI mode, you have the ESP mounted via fstab. But a BIOS boot will not mount the ESP. That why I suggested Boot-Repair as it knows all the partitions to mount.

The chroot from a live installer also requires the mount of the ESP.
    chroot with UEFI, LVM, encryption on NVMe drive
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....8#post13602088
    UEFI chroot, must include ESP - efi system partition
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/53578...er/57380#57380

If you have made a mount point in /boot, and mounted the ESP at /boot/efi. If the only version of grub you have is the the UEFI version.
    sudo grub-install --efi-directory=/boot/efi

The fstab entry after install should be this with your UUID:
    UUID=xxxxxx /boot/efi vfat umask=0077 0 1
    cat /etc/fstab
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

When you start the computer with the USB attached and choose that device you must choose the one that starts with UEFI.

Depending on how you created the USB install media you may or may not see a non-UEFI option but as you've already done it once and ended up with a BIOS install I suspect you will see that USB listed twice, firstly without the UEFI prefix, then the saame again with the UEFI prefix; you MUST choose the UEFI option.

I have not installed on a system with more than a single disk for many years but I think you can now choose Something Else at the partitioning stage and start installing, choosing to use the whole of /dev/sdd for the new OS.
    The installer will see the EFI partition on the first disk and add the new OS to that and this time will not need the bios-grub partition that you had last time.

With no information so far on the partitions on the first disk it is difficult to know whether it would be more sensible to separate the /home of this install from root or to use a separate data partition but certainly a 250G disk is huge for a root partition of an OS that may be using data files from another disk. I do see that the BIOS install on the second disk had two partitions, /dev/sdd2 1562624 99219455 97656832 46.6G Linux filesystem, perhaps the root partition and /dev/sdd3 99219456 450781183 351561728 167.6G Linux filesystem, maybe a /home partition.

If you intend the two Linux systems to use the same data files you may need to use symbolic links from the old to the new systems but wee need to know more about what you want before giiving further detailed suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    With no information so far on the partitions on the first disk it is difficult to know whether it would be more sensible to separate the /home of this install from root or to use a separate data partition but certainly a 250G disk is huge for a root partition of an OS that may be using data files from another disk. I do see that the BIOS install on the second disk had two partitions, /dev/sdd2 1562624 99219455 97656832 46.6G Linux filesystem, perhaps the root partition and /dev/sdd3 99219456 450781183 351561728 167.6G Linux filesystem, maybe a /home partition.

If you intend the two Linux systems to use the same data files you may need to use symbolic links from the old to the new systems but wee need to know more about what you want before giiving further detailed suggestions.
    Thanks. Sorry, I wasn't very clear, I am not using the 120 gb ssd with ubuntu on it, I'm going to use the 240 gb along with windows already on an nvme. Sda2 is the 240 mb disk and you are correct, I created / at 50gb and home at 160 odd. I've set the bios to uefi only so I'll try another install and see how that goes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There are two other commands that might remove your need for grub customizer.

Code:
    sudo grub-update
    That will run a check on all drives for operating systems and create a Grub boot menu with those operating systems in the menu.

Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdx
    where x is the drive letter. such as sda; sdb; sdc; etc. When we update/upgrade and a new Linux kernel is installed then, update-grub is run so that the new kernel becomes the default kernel to be loaded. The older kernel will be found under Advanced option for Ubuntu.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Thanks for all the help with this, finally got it sorded. ajgreenyI followed your instructions re choosing efi and it all went smoothly , I must have selected the bios option.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Great news!

Please mark as SOLVED from the Thread Tools menu up-top if this is now solved to your satisfaction. It is a great help to other users searching the forum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12