Thread: rsync not copying everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

rsync not copying everything

Ubuntu 18.04
    rsync version 3.1.2 protocol version 31
    Problem: when copying files to a samba share in some cases only empty directories are copied.
    I am using the Grsync GUI (V 1.2.6) to set up the session
    how do I diagnose and preferentially fix this problem?

Beans

Re: rsync not copying everything

There are multiple underlying file system issues that can prevent copying. Rsync can only copy that which it has been granted access to. Even when running as root, SELinux or AppArmor can still prevent access to some resources.

You can run rsync from the command line with the -vn options to see what it will do, without actually doing it. See the man page for details.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Samba shares, like all Windows-based filesystems, are not entirely compatible with *nix file systems. In some cases I've had to ZIP directories on NTFS filesystems and use rsync to transfer the ZIPs. I assume you can copy files to the target location manually from a file manager or the command line so permissions aren't a problem. I suppose the user running rsync may not have permissions to some of the files being transferred as well. Using -vn is very valuable to diagnose these problems.

If you are having permissions issues try running the transfer as root.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

What are the underlying file systems on both ends of the transfer?

My samba shares are all ext4 (although I've used other file systems in the past) rsync can easily copy everything from one ext4 to another. It can have problems between NTFS and any Linux file system. Also on the Linux filesystem check to see if any acls are set incompatible acls can cause problems..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    What are the underlying file systems on both ends of the transfer?

My samba shares are all ext4 (although I've used other file systems in the past) rsync can easily copy everything from one ext4 to another. It can have problems between NTFS and any Linux file system. Also on the Linux filesystem check to see if any acls are set incompatible acls can cause problems..
    More and more lazy installation guides are using ACLs, I've been seeing the last few years. For people that just want to copy/paste without understanding instructions, it certainly gets them to the working solution, but can break all those other pesky things like ... er ... backups. Which seems to be fine, since the vast majority of people don't appear to actually do backups, then test them.

If NTFS or FAT-whatever (exFAT, FAT32, etc) are involved, filenames that are completely fine on Unix file systems sometimes don't work at all on NTFS or FAT-whatever. Every file system has limitations. It is just that the Unix-family file systems have fewer limitations in the name, depth, filesize, and total files allowed, and POSIX permissions/ACL/xattr areas.

In short, stay with Unix/Linux file systems whenever possible.