Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Editing Software - Good One For YT Channel?

Beans

Video Editing Software - Good One For YT Channel?

I've done a little bit of research here on this, but answers are all over the map. I'm looking to create my own YT channel and I exclusively run Ubuntu. I want to find a good, stable video editor and stick with it to edit my videos. I want to know I'm committing to a good one prior to taking the time to learn it and dedicating a lot of time to it. So far I've found:

Openshot - seems rather unstable, seems to crash frequently.

Kdenlive - people claim this one crashes a lot

Flowblade - looks pretty good, a linux exclusive

Lightworks - a program you need to pay for, but does this help overall stability, is better than the freeware?

Shotcut - haven't seen anything bad about it out there - is this a good, stable video editing program?

Can anyone recommend anything here? Or better yet do any of you have a YT channel that you exclusively use a linux video-editing program for? Also, with any recommendations please point me to good video instruction/tutorials if available.

Thanks in advice for any advice, recommendations etc.

Beans

Re: Video Editing Software - Good One For YT Channel?

I've been using KDEnlive for nearly a year now. We're conducting online Zoom events as part of our college reunion activities during lockdown. I typically am just adding title slides to an MP4 created by Zoom, then rendering the entire project to .webm. I do use Kubuntu, though, so i don't know if any reported crashes happen when KDEnlive is installed on a non-native platform.

We don't post anything on YouTube, but I'm pretty sure webm is the preferred container format.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

On Xubuntu 20.04 I have been using openshot for some time now but I use the version from the developers own PPA repository, (2.5.1) rather than the standard repos version (2.4.3).

I have not had any problems with it crashing and find it easy to use for the purposes that I need it, which I admit are relatively simple tasks.
    See https://launchpad.net/~openshot.deve...ive/ubuntu/ppa for details of the PPA and how to enable it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    On Xubuntu 20.04 I have been using openshot for some time now but I use the version from the developers own PPA repository, (2.5.1) rather than the standard repos version (2.4.3).

I have not had any problems with it crashing and find it easy to use for the purposes that I need it, which I admit are relatively simple tasks.
    See https://launchpad.net/~openshot.deve...ive/ubuntu/ppa for details of the PPA and how to enable it.
    Thanks. I have Openshot now, I'll have to get the version straight from the developers as you said. I've used Openshot many times in the past, albeit for VERY basic splicing and things. I'll have to see what it's ultimately capable of and see if it'd be a good choice for a YT channel with good looking vids. I did like the ease of use aspect and the learning curve wasn't too bad for it.

Beans

Anyone else have any suggestions? Would love a recommendation backed up with YT vids someone has created with said editor. Thanks.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Video Editing Software - Good One For YT Channel?

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmoke View Post
    Anyone else have any suggestions?
    have you tried handbrake?

https://handbrake.fr/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ipv2 View Post
    have you tried handbrake?

https://handbrake.fr/
    Love it and use it frequently but it's NOT a video editor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmoke View Post
    Anyone else have any suggestions? Would love a recommendation backed up with YT vids someone has created with said editor. Thanks.
    If you don't mind commercial offerings then there is also DaVinci Resolve. They do have a "free" ("free" as in "free beer") version that has like 80% to 90% of the functionality of its paid counterpart. For doing YouTube-related editing this might be more than enough. Even if not: The paid version isn't even that expensive compared to what other offerings cost.

Announcement from 2017 that from now onwards they'd also offer a Linux version ...
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/med...se/20170302-03

In that announcement they only talk about Red Hat and CentOS ... but there are guides and tutorials out there that show how those packages can be converted into Ubuntu's package format. So there's no need to switch to CentOS / Red Hat or any of their clones (e.g. Oracle Linux, AlmaLinux, etc.), you can keep Ubuntu and still run that software.

Current 2021 release (Version 17):
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...avinciresolve/

There are plenty of tutorials, crash courses, etc. on YouTube, e.g. like this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozj-aQH0kiE

So... why bother with a commercial offering?

I personally don't mind paying a resonable price for commercial software that does its job and does it well. Paying for it helps to establish Linux as a viable target platform for commercial vendors so they hopefully will stop seeing it as "a toy for nerds" and they hopefully stop ignoring us Linux users. Sure, libre + opensource offerings can be wonderful too, but me personally I'm not a fanatic in that regard and if a commercial software vendor is offering me a paid product that includes support at a reasonable price for my OS of choice that isn't Mac or Windows? .... Sure, why not. It's something that should at least be looked at, in my opinion.

Sorry for the "sales pitch", I am in no shape or form affiliated with those guys.
    Last edited by scorp123; April 21st, 2021 at 04:25 PM. Reason: corrected information about the Ubuntu package (needs to be converted from CentOS / RHEL package)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I use DaVinci Resiolve. I can tell you that for a FREE program it is close to the best there is. Highly sophisticated with a multitude of features. It started out has a video colorist software and morphed into video editing. I can tell you it is capable of editing a major Hollywood production (as a matter of fact, it has.) However, note the following:

1. You will need a beefy computer, at least 16GB of RAM, an i7 or Ryzen 7 processor, at least 4GB of VRAM. Hardware requirements are on their web site.
    2. Be prepared for a pretty significant learning curve if you are not familiar with higher end NLE software (Premier Pro, Final Cut, etc.)

Among the free and open source offerings, Cinelerra is a powerful bit of software. Not intuitive and again a steep learning curve. But very good and it will run reasonably well on lesser hardware. There is more than one version, and if you decide to try it make sure you choose Cinelerra GG.

I am also a personal fan of Shotcut. Excellent program with a friendly community on their forum.
    Last edited by bobnutfield; April 30th, 2021 at 05:52 PM.
    Bob

Beans

Openshot is best open source video editor for Linux

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast