Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Partition Setup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Partition Setup

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    No GUI for LVM. Plus, enterprise servers don't have any GUI, so why bother? Avoiding a GUI is something I do. GUIs are too slow and in-exact. Generally, they provide just 20% of the features that the CLI versions provide. Read the manpage for lvcreate and lvconvert - try to put that into a GUI that isn't so simplified as to be useless. I dare you. How do you do thin provisioning on a RAID1 LVM setup in the GUI?
    I'm the opposite, a GUI is a must for me. I just want to be able to use something without having to work out what command does what. Regarding Timeshift, I can't fault it (well, only on Fedora). Simple to setup and then I can just let it do it's thing. As LVM does not have a GUI, it's a no go for me (sorry).

I've never seen timeshift. I've written at least 1 book about backups and restore stuff in these forums. My reading of timeshift says it is a 50% solution and that some other backup/cloning tool is still required. Why learn 2 backup tools when 1 is sufficient?
    I've never used Boxes and haven't touched end-user VM tools in years.
    Tbh, only really needed to use Timeshift on my test laptop (from the CLI) to get back to a desktop. More of a tool to recover the OS from a bad update. As the data is on another disk, even installing the OS again takes no time at all but still nice to recover instantly. Again, Boxes is a very simple (to use) VM that doesn't require any configuration (get's a distro up and running in no time). Ideal for someone like me.

Last edited by Graham1; April 10th, 2021 at 12:04 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Partition Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Graham1 View Post
    I'm the opposite, a GUI is a must for me. I just want to be able to use something without having to work out what command does what. Regarding Timeshift, I can't fault it (well, only on Fedora). Simple to setup and then I can just let it do it's thing. As LVM does not have a GUI, it's a no go for me (sorry).
    Don't be sorry. We are all different.

Just be aware that 80% of the computing power in Unix systems comes from non-GUI stuff. For example, some jobs pre-scheduled to run at specific times in the future. .... One is running now:
    Code:
    $ ats
    2164    Fri Apr  9 18:58:00 2021 = thefu
    2165    Fri Apr  9 19:58:00 2021 a thefu
    2166    Fri Apr  9 19:58:00 2021 a thefu
    2167    Sat Apr 10 06:28:00 2021 a thefu
    2168    Sat Apr 10 19:58:00 2021 a thefu
    2173    Sun Apr 11 18:58:00 2021 a thefu
    2169    Sun Apr 11 19:58:00 2021 a thefu
    2170    Sun Apr 11 21:58:00 2021 a thefu
    These will run whether anyone is logged in or not. The results will be waiting when we get around to them.
    Other jobs need to run as quickly as possible, just 1 at a time to prevent storage thrashing. That's where a job queue system comes in handy.
    No GUI for either of those and those tasks run whether anyone is logged in or not. To ensure they don't impact performance, they are run at a lower priority - called "nice". There are 10 nice levels so higher numbers get more scheduled CPU or I/O time. There is an ionice tool. Anyway, they run in the background at a lower priority than normal programs, which remain snappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham1 View Post
    Tbh, only really needed to use Timeshift on my test laptop (from the CLI) to get back to a desktop. More of a tool to recover the OS from a bad update. As the data is on another disk, even installing the OS again takes no time at all but still nice to recover instantly. Again, Boxes is a very simple (to use) VM that doesn't require any configuration (get's a distro up and running in no time). Ideal for someone like me.
    For instant recovery from a bad update, I'd just use the snapshot. Lacking snapshot, there's a daily backup for all my systems created nightly - about once a year, I need to wipe and start over from scratch completely, but most of the time, I just need a few files from the backups - that's just a cp or rsync to get it back. Once I missed a corrupted DB for over a month and had to go back 37 days to that DB backup. All the newer backups included the corruption. Very happy I have at least 60 days, often 90 and 180 days of versioned backups for higher risk systems. I can't keep 180 days of snapshots. Doubt I have enough storage for more than about 20 snapshots to be kept.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12