Thread: need monitor config info

Beans

need monitor config info

I have a laptop with a 40 tv for an external monitor. Until now, I've been the only user, but I'M setting up a user account for my wife. I use 6 desktops, and both monitors, basically have 12 screens. My wife is an extreme noob at computers. I will even have to teach her how to boot up and login. I would like to do is cut my system down so she doesn't get confused with multiple desktops and screens. I can reduce to 1 desktop without issue. My question is, in monitor settings, there is a spot to enable this monitor.If i'm right, I can unmark the external monitor, and it will be like it's not there, but I want to disable the laptop monitor so she is only working with 1 desktop and only the external monitor. If I do this, is it going to cause any issues, such as being disabled on my login. Any advise would be great, Thanks.
    I'm a firm believer that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
    Lenovo ideapad320-15iap, 1.1G Intel processor with onboard graphics, x64, 1TB SSD, 8GB ram
    lubuntu 22.04.1, fully updated

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: need monitor config info

I would control this in the ~/.xinitrc file in her HOME with an xrandr command. For playing with settings, I'd use lxrandr.

Beans

Rather set the external monitor to clone the laptop screen, then plug in a keyboard also and set the laptop power settings so that it will NOT sleep when the lid is closed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

You've not provided enough details for me to provide much specifics.

Modern Lubuntu using LXQt?
    Legacy Lubuntu using LXDE (which don't forget reaches EOL later this month)

Assuming it's a modern Lubuntu, monitor settings by GUI are found at

- https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/3/3..._settings.html

Openbox settings for some of what you want are found at

https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/3/3..._settings.html

Please note: As you didn't provide release details, I've just grabbed the stable release, which is also the latest or matches Lubuntu 20.10 the latest stable release. If you're using an older LTS release (eg. 20.04) you can switch out the word stable and use lts for it's manual page.

These settings are per-user, they don't impact `sddm` (ie. the greeter or anything before you've logged in) but are read on login, so can be very different for each user (and won't impact other users).

Beans

Many thanks for the tips. I will look into the commands you offered. Herman, I didn't see a 'clone' setting, but the show only monitor 2 seems to be that setting, and that is an idea I hadn't though of. guivec, thanks for the links, they have a lot of useful tips. I'm using lubuntu 20.04 with the lxqt de. You informed me that the settings can be wildly different for each user, which is what I thought but wanted to verify. I went ahead and disabled my laptop monitor and it is working as I had hoped, at least for now. Again, many thanks for the info you guys gave me. I will mark this one as solved.
    I'm a firm believer that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
    Lenovo ideapad320-15iap, 1.1G Intel processor with onboard graphics, x64, 1TB SSD, 8GB ram
    lubuntu 22.04.1, fully updated