Thread: 20.04 LTS Server - ethernet randomly stopped working & I don't know how to restart it

Beans

20.04 LTS Server - ethernet randomly stopped working & I don't know how to restart it

My system boots OK, I can only access it via command line terminal keyboard/monitor as the ethernet connection is completely down. If I boot from USB, the hardware is fine and it gets allocated an IP address, so this is a config issue. I have no GUI's or copy/paste from another system, just what I can type on the terminal.

Code:
    lshw -C network
    reports
    Code:
    *-network DISABLED
    Code:
    ip link set enp4s0 up
    enables it - at least DISABLED goes away and the lights start flashing on the ethernet port

Code:
    ip addr
    tells me that enp4s0 has no inet4 IP address

Code:
    netplan --debug get all
    reports:
    Code:
    DEBUG:enp4s0 not found in {}
    DEBUG:Merged config:
    network:
      ethernets:
        enp4s0:
          dhcp: true
      version: 2

network:
      ethernets:
        enp4s0:
          dhcp: true
      version: 2
    Note - it's not {} above, but I don't know how to create the weird curly brackets that are there!

As it's a 20.04 server, the renderer is systemd-networkd, but I'm not sure how to check if the files created there are correct. I've also read some stuff about needing to tell network that my ethernet is 'unmanaged'.

Code:
    systemctl status systemd-networkd.service
    is running and restarting it doesn't change anything

Code:
    netplan --debug try
    reports (sorry pasted image, as it's too much typing!)

Clearly, I could just rebuild the server from scratch, but given that it's fundamentally working, there must be a simpler way to solve my problem?

The system doesn't have WiFi and I don't have a PCI or USB network adapter to try either.

Help gratefully received. Thanks, Mark

Beans

Re: 20.04 LTS Server - ethernet randomly stopped working & I don't know how to restar

Just read some more about this and it seems I'm not alone and it's down to a netplan.io and libnetplan0 update, where one updates to v.102 and not the other and being out of sync breaks things. If I download both to a USB stick, copy to my server and install both, it should fix my problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: 20.04 LTS Server - ethernet randomly stopped working & I don't know how to restar

What hardware is it? Please show
    Code:
    lspci -nnk
    lsmod