Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does it matter which NIC I use?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Does it matter which NIC I use?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAM4SA8G3562

This one gets high marks. https://www.amazon.com/Intel-EXPI930.../dp/B00830H91M It's a couple buck more expensive at Amazon, but you don't have to wait for it to be shipped from Hong Kong like the one at NewEgg does.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Does it matter which NIC I use?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    For newer laptops that don't have any ethernet port, I have a USB3-GigE adapter. Ubuntu Server didn't recognize it, but the Desktop installers did. It uses the ax88179_178a driver. I don't see any vendor name, so you'd need to search by the chip and driver if you want to go that direction. Mine has 3 USB3 ports in addition to the GigE. It uses a single old-USB3 "blue" port on the laptop. I'd rather have built-in ethernet, but it does routinely show 922 Mbps to other systems on my LAN going through 1-2 cheap $18 GigE switches.
    I agree with you
    It seems to me that a computer with only on board 100Mbps will never take full advantage of a gigabit card.
    But the global network should benefit of seeing few gigabits packets instead of more time consuming 100Mbps ones .
    I have the same kind of USB3 hub with Gigabit Ethernet it seems a good solution for the price.
    It only lacks a 5 V external supply and some LED's on the RJ45 port.
    Happy user of Ubuntu-20.04 on a Beelink BT3pro mini PC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12