Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 21.04 beta: firefox does not work

Beans

Ubuntu 21.04 beta: firefox does not work

Greetings. I updated the question to better describe the problem:
    updated Ubuntu and the beta version works fine. However, Firefox does not work. It looks like it is launching but no windows open. I tried reinstalling it. Did not work. I can launch it from terminal though. Any ideas how to fix this? Thank you for your help

SOLVED:

I removed FF again. This time I also removed everything related to FF (archive files, symbols, everything I could find!), and reinstalled everything back and IT WORKS! As algreeny suggested something, somewhere must have been corrupt. Thank you for everyone. Learned heaps again!!
    Last edited by pwowqxbirt; April 13th, 2021 at 10:31 AM. Reason: .pdf attachment removed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 21 beta: firefox does not work

I assume that by "Ubuntu 21 Beta" you mean the development version of 21.04? Moved to Ubuntu Development Version.

I have removed your .pdf attachment. If you have text to present that is too long to contain between code tags (see below), please use Ubuntu Pastebin to post it as plain text so that you are not asking the community to open a potentially malicious file type.

To use code tags:

1. If you are using the "Reply to Thread" button, please type or paste your text, highlight the text and use the # button in the text box header. Alternatively, click the # button first, place your cursor between the code tags and type or paste your text.

2. If using "Quick Reply" then type [code] at the beginning and [/code] at the end. The square brackets are required.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

thank you! I tried the pastebin, hope I got I right

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Looks like a latin fonts encoding issue. Which language is set on that system ? Try one without dot or accent above letters (like English) for testing firefox.

Beans

Thanks. I changed it into English. Still not working. However, the terminal error message is gone.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

There is no Ubuntu 21 release, so please be exact in future.

Assuming it's 21.04, I'd look for clues in /var/crash/ (ie. is there a crash file).

If a crash file is present, please submit the bug report (it'll contain useful details in finding a bug if one is found, or even for us to get clues). To submit the bug use

Code:
    ubuntu-bug /var/crash/[filename].crash
    where you'll need to replace [filename] with the correct name, and thank you for helping to test Ubuntu 21.04, and helping to make it better on it's release.

Beans

Thank you. Corrected the title. Did not find any crash files. The terminal gave me this:
    Gdk-Message: 10:34:25.948: Unable to load openhand from the cursor theme
    Gdk-Message: 10:34:25.948: Unable to load
    5aca4d189052212118709018842178c0 from the cursor theme

###!!! [Parent][RunMessage] Error: Channel closing: too late to
    send/recv, messages will be lost
    Last edited by pwowqxbirt; April 8th, 2021 at 10:58 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Ubuntu 21.04 beta: firefox does not work

Try temporarily renaming the hidden .mozilla folder in your home and see if FF will now start using a completely new profile and configuration.

It may be that having previously used the beta version of FF you are now trying to start an instance of a lower numbered FF version which can cause difficulties with some applications, thunderbird being the most obvious one that I can think of at present. A new profile may be all that is needed and could be a lot simpler than troubleshooting this sort of problem.

Beans

Thank you. I agree this must be a relatively simple problem. The problem is that I know very little of Ubuntu, and it was really quite unfortunate that I installed the beta version in the first place. Anyway, I tried renaming the file. Unfortunately it did not work. Tried also creating a new profile on FF. Did not help either.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

To increase your ubuntu's knowledge, glance at possible error(s) using this command into a terminal:
    journalctl -b
    warnings are listed as yellow lines (info, quite harmless)
    errors are the red lines

This can help you solve such an issue. Note that i can't find something related to 'openhand' inside the ubuntu's repositories: so the cursor theme seems a non genuine one; have you selected a third source for it ? Better use the ones provided by ubuntu if you cant deal with related error. Go to the 'system settings' menu (top right menu bar icon) and swith the actual theme to an other.
    Last edited by dino99; April 8th, 2021 at 02:05 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast