Thread: steam installed, cant play

Beans

steam installed, cant play

great i have installed steam, have selected a driving game called project torque, when i click on play i get the error message: an error occured platform not supported, final question before a long standing friendship is forever damaged when i tell my pal that his 13 year old son should be able to do this without enlisting his fathers help
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: steam installed, cant play

So, for the particular issue you're describing, it's because you haven't told Steam to use Proton (their Wine implementation) so it's looking for the Linux version of the game to download and install, and there isn't one. Select Properties and tell it to use a particular compatibility tool, then pick which version of Proton you want to use from the drop-down list.

However, that particular game is apparently difficult to make work, even for experienced users. You might find it better to start with a different game that's known to work easily.

Beans

i cannot find properties, can you give me a pointer, is there a list of which games will work. thankyou

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ijr9005 View Post
    i cannot find properties, can you give me a pointer,
    Find it in your library and right-click on it, then select Properties. Or select it in the library so that it's on the big pane, click on the gear icon and then select Properties.

is there a list of which games will work. thankyou
    The Platinum rating on ProtonDB is supposed to equate to running as well as or better than it does on Windows with no extra fiddling. Gold is supposed to equate to running as well as or better than it does on Windows with some fiddling. Start with either of those.

There's also thousands of native games, too, of course.
    Last edited by CatKiller; April 7th, 2021 at 09:52 PM.

Beans

exellent, thanks very much, properties is where i goto whenever i have issues, but i couldnt find it