Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MP3 Tag Editor

Beans

Question MP3 Tag Editor

[RESOLVED - see below]

I can't believe I cannot find a solution so I am seeking help from the masses. I've upgraded to 20.04 a few months back and finally need an MP3 tag editor. Specifically, I'm on 20.04.2 LTS on 64bit. Upon upgrading from 18.04, it removed EasyTag which I've used for years - good tool. However, it will not install on 20.04. I've also found that Puddletag cannot navigate to my internal hard drives - it can only reach the / mount so that's no good. Finetune does not install. Kid3 does not install. MusicBrainz Picard will install but will not run. And I don't see any other options in the Software Center. Odd.
    Last edited by Paul_Alexander; April 9th, 2021 at 02:45 AM.

Beans

Re: MP3 Tag Editor

Are you using the synaptic package manager or snaps?

Beans

Hi, I just upgraded from Lubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 and also found Puddletag (the snap installation version) won't access my secondary drive with all my music on it. Too bad, as I think the layout (spreadsheet style) of Puddletag is very intuitive and useful (seeing the tags of multiple files at once). I hope a non-snap version comes out soon.

I tried Easytag, but when saving the tag changes it gives me some wierd disk access error message, so that one got uninstalled.

I'm now trying Kid3-qt, which is a little like Easytag in its layout. Seems pretty powerful. I just don't love the interface where you select multiple files in a directory, but can only see the tags for one at a time. I'm going to stick with kid3-qt for now. Once I get used to the "reverse" (from Puddletag) way of doing things, it seems to have a good array of features. Watching Youtube videos on how to use it was more helpful than reading the manual.

I too was pretty surprised at the lack of choice for taggers in Linux. Not including Puddletag, they are either really power, but have a cryptic interfaces that take a lot of learning, or have have an overload of features that are unnecessary to me. I just want something easy to use, with an intuitive and elegant interface that does the basics (tagging and adding of images).
    Last edited by Brent_Santin; April 8th, 2021 at 04:12 PM.

Beans

I successfully installed easytag on ubuntu 20.04 using the synaptic package manager.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Alexander View Post
    …Upon upgrading from 18.04, it removed EasyTag which I've used for years - good tool. However, it will not install on 20.04.

I am on 20.04 and have Easytag installed and running without a hitch. Apt shows that it is available in the repos. Make sure you have Universe turned on:
    Code:
    duckhook@Zeus:~$  apt show easytag
    Package: easytag
    Version: 2.4.3-4build1
    Priority: optional
    Section: universe/sound
    Origin: Ubuntu
    Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Original-Maintainer: Debian Multimedia Maintainers <pkg-multimedia-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
    Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
    Installed-Size: 4,442 kB
    Depends: dconf-gsettings-backend | gsettings-backend, libc6 (>= 2.14), libflac8 (>= 1.3.0), libgcc-s1 (>= 3.0), libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.30.1), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.38), libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.10), libid3-3.8.3v5, libid3tag0 (>= 0.15.1b), libogg0 (>= 1.0rc3), libopus0 (>= 1.1), libopusfile0 (>= 0.5), libspeex1 (>= 1.2~beta3-1), libstdc++6 (>= 5), libtag1v5 (>= 1.9.1-2.2~), libvorbis0a (>= 1.1.2), libvorbisfile3 (>= 1.1.2), libwavpack1 (>= 4.40.0)
    Recommends: gnome-icon-theme, gvfs, yelp
    Suggests: easytag-nautilus
    Homepage: https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/EasyTAG
    Download-Size: 727 kB
    APT-Manual-Installed: yes
    APT-Sources: http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
    Description: GTK+ editor for audio file tags
     EasyTAG is an utility for viewing, editing and writing
     the tags of different audio files, using a GTK+ interface.
     Currently EasyTAG supports the following:
      - View, edit, write tags of MP3, MP2 files (ID3 tag), FLAC files (FLAC Vorbis
        tag), Ogg Opus, Ogg Speex and Ogg Vorbis files (Ogg Vorbis tag),
        MP4/M4A/AAC files (MPEG-4 Part 10 tag), and MusePack, Monkey's Audio files
        (APE tag);
      - Auto tagging: parse file and directory names using masks to automatically
        fill in tag fields;
      - Cover art support for all formats;
      - Rename files from the tag fields (using masks) or by loading a text file;
      - Process selected files of the selected directory;
      - Ability to browse subdirectories;
      - Recursion for tagging, removing, renaming, saving, etc;
      - Can set a field (artist, title, ...) on all other selected files;
      - Read file header information (bitrate, time, ...) and display it;
      - Undo and redo last changes;
      - Ability to process tag fields and file names (convert letters into
        uppercase, lowercase, etc);
      - Ability to open a directory or a file with an external program;
      - CDDB support (from http protocol);
      - A tree based browser;
      - A list to select files;
      - A playlist generator window;
      - A file searching window;
      - Simple and explicit interface.
    When attempting to install, did you remember to first do?:
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    Please try to install using apt and post all output back to this thread:
    Code:
    sudo apt install easytag
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent_Santin View Post
    Hi, I just upgraded from Lubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 and also found Puddletag (the snap installation version) won't access my secondary drive with all my music on it. Too bad, as I think the layout (spreadsheet style) of Puddletag is very intuitive and useful (seeing the tags of multiple files at once). I hope a non-snap version comes out soon.
    This is likely a result of Puddletag not having permissions turned on to allow "Read/write files on Removable Storage Devices". This is a common problem with snaps and the description is also misleading. The switch has to be turned on to access any partition outside of /home. Instructions for turning on this option: https://ubuntu.com/blog/a-guide-to-s...and-interfaces
    Quote Originally Posted by daniewicz View Post
    I successfully installed easytag on ubuntu 20.04 using the synaptic package manager.
    When trying to triage, it's best to stick with the command line because doing so will display error outputs. Neither Synaptic nor Software Centre provide any usable feedback.

Beans

I have been using Puddletag for years. They have moved it to snap, but my install on 20.04 after my upgrade from 18.04 works as always. I keep my music on a separate drive and have no issues accessing it. What message do you get when you try to access you music drive?

Beans

To he who asked, the puddletag app simply has no navigation below /media so it's dead to me.

To others, thanks a bunch! I will try some of these options later today. Sure appreciate it, all.

Beans

Hmmm, I see @duckhook may have unblocked me. I'll check into this first.

I'm not receiving any email notifications from this site anymore, it seems, so I need to repair this as well since I didn't see any replies until going directly here...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Alexander View Post
    …I'm not receiving any email notifications from this site anymore, it seems, so I need to repair this as well since I didn't see any replies until going directly here...
    Sadly, the e-mail notifications have not been reliable for some time. Since forum staff do not maintain the HW/SW of the forums (we administer only the content within), we must patiently wait for our ticket to get addressed by the sysadmins. The problem is not at your end and I'm afraid there isn't anything you can do except revisit your thread every so often.

Beans

Thank you, Duckhook. Good job and good to know. Here's what I did to fix it. Getting it through this source properly exposes files from my internal hard drives.

-- add the universe repo
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository universe
    --update my package list
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    --get it
    Code:
    sudo apt install easytag
    Last edited by DuckHook; April 9th, 2021 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Added *CODE* tags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast