Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading CPU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Upgrading CPU

just lock up it is difficult to troubleshoot. i had this motherboard that no matter what i changed and tried (software and hardware) it just keep having one or another issue. i threw it away.

if windows works but Ubuntu doesn't it can be due to:

• drivers (for GPU or motherboard)
    • overheating (power management is off - drivers are at fault but can also be a setup in system) - psensor will show if overheating is the issue
    • slightly faulty ram (window uses ram differently than Linux. it loads it differently. so sometime the error in one system is not noticed because of that.

i have very old laptop. no matter what windows XP that came with it crashed. needless to say it had too low ram anyway (384 MB of which 32MB was reserved for GPU). it worked for about 10 minutes and then it would lock, freeze... anyway i installed linux on it and no such issues.

anyway, use what works best. if windows works good on it and has no issues, then just use that. it is not a bad OS and no matter what, it still beats wasting time troubleshooting and getting Ubuntu to work.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    just lock up it is difficult to troubleshoot. i had this motherboard that no matter what i changed and tried (software and hardware) it just keep having one or another issue. i threw it away.

if windows works but Ubuntu doesn't it can be due to:

• drivers (for GPU or motherboard)
    • overheating (power management is off - drivers are at fault but can also be a setup in system) - psensor will show if overheating is the issue
    • slightly faulty ram (window uses ram differently than Linux. it loads it differently. so sometime the error in one system is not noticed because of that.

i have very old laptop. no matter what windows XP that came with it crashed. needless to say it had too low ram anyway (384 MB of which 32MB was reserved for GPU). it worked for about 10 minutes and then it would lock, freeze... anyway i installed linux on it and no such issues.

anyway, use what works best. if windows works good on it and has no issues, then just use that. it is not a bad OS and no matter what, it still beats wasting time troubleshooting and getting Ubuntu to work.
    Thanks for your thoughtful reply. The only think that I am sure of is that it is not overheating.

Beans

Sometime stuff just happens. I have one computer that is supposed to be a Windows 10 workstation which I cannot install Windows 10 on. I can't figure out why. I can run a live session of Ubuntu or install Windows 7 but no matter what I do Windows 10 installs fail. I have at least 10 other Windows workstations with the same model motherboard and similar, if not identical, CPUs, memory and SDDs. I've replaced the memory (twice) and the SDD once and still is won't install.
    I know this has nothing to do with the OPs issue but it illustrates the random variability of hardware.

Beans

Re: Lockup Update

It seems that the lockup problem is limited to Firefox. I have been using Google Chrome, and so far I have not experienced any system freezes. Also, Google Chrome uses less of my CPU and RAM resources. I hope this continues to be the case.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    It seems that the lockup problem is limited to Firefox. I have been using Google Chrome, and so far I have not experienced any system freezes. Also, Google Chrome uses less of my CPU and RAM resources. I hope this continues to be the case.
    Did you look at the log files? We don't need to be guessing. The logs HAVE the answer for what the issue is and sometimes they have the solution too.

If there is nothing in the logs (doubtful), ....

If it is just firefox, have you tried running in safe-mode? There is a command line option for that. It doesn't have any extensions.
    If it still crashes in safe mode, I'd force a reinstall of firefox, then restart the program.
    If it still crashes, then I'd look at the GPU drivers.
    If it still crashes, then I'd look at swap and RAM allocations. Ensure you have at least 4.1G of swap. The swapon -s command will show the current swap.

Check the log files.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Did you look at the log files? We don't need to be guessing. The logs HAVE the answer for what the issue is and sometimes they have the solution too.

If there is nothing in the logs (doubtful), ....

If it is just firefox, have you tried running in safe-mode? There is a command line option for that. It doesn't have any extensions.
    If it still crashes in safe mode, I'd force a reinstall of firefox, then restart the program.
    If it still crashes, then I'd look at the GPU drivers.
    If it still crashes, then I'd look at swap and RAM allocations. Ensure you have at least 4.1G of swap. The swapon -s command will show the current swap.

Check the log files.
    Thanks for your informative reply. This will be a challenge for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    Thanks for your informative reply. This will be a challenge for me.
    Really?

Google: "ubuntu log files"
    Google: "firefox safe-mode"
    Google: "ubuntu gpu crash"
    Google: "ubuntu swap size setup"

It can be useful to put the Ubuntu release number into the google query for things that change based on the release.

With the GPU, 21.04 made Wayland the default and the release notes for that release (21.04) has specific information.

I don't know what uBlock is.
    Did you google "ubuntu uBlock"? 10 seconds and you'd know the answer.

Use whatever web search tool you like. In general, Bing sucks for Linux questions, so perhaps use some other search tool. I don't use google all the time for privacy reasons, but sometimes the other tools fail.

Beans

I will say I have experienced lockup caused by Firefox. I believe they are generally related to graphics hardware/drivers. My solution is to use another browser.

Beans

If you're sure there's no overheating, run Memtest to verify RAM integrity

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    If you're sure there's no overheating, run Memtest to verify RAM integrity
    I did that. It showed 0 problems after one pass. Do you think that I need more passes?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast