Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Upgrading CPU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Upgrading CPU

Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    I did that. It showed 0 problems after one pass. Do you think that I need more passes?
    YES! Leave it running overnight.

Did you look at the log files yet?!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guessing isn't helping. The answer is 99% in those logs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    YES! Leave it running overnight.

Did you look at the log files yet?!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guessing isn't helping. The answer is 99% in those logs.
    I find the logs somewhat overwhelming. Page after page. I do not know what to look for. First off, what category, hardware

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    I find the logs somewhat overwhelming. Page after page. I do not know what to look for. First off, what category, hardware
    I'd look for errors and warnings, but you feel free to do what you think is best.

It is a good idea to scan through an entire log file at least once ... see what's inside. Don't let your eye glaze over. Actually read the lines. As with most new things, our first look can be a little scary. The more we look, the better we become at pulling information out. If we never make the effort, we won't improve.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

My system seems to be working ok, but I get at least two screen fulls of messages, all warnings.

sudo egrep -i 'warn|error' /var/log/*g
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    My system seems to be working ok, but I get at least two screen fulls of messages, all warnings.

sudo egrep -i 'warn|error' /var/log/*g
    Two screens is better than thousands of pages. Quite manageable. Plus realizing that some "warnings" are just kernel messages about hardware our system(s) don't have is useful over the long term.

Log-fu is a skill.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345