Thread: wine 6.0 install

Beans

wine 6.0 install

just introduced a friend to ubuntu, he wants to play st wine 6.0eam games, so he needs to install wine 6.0, lots of links to advice that aint working for me, anybody successfully downloaded wine?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: wine 6.0 install

Quote Originally Posted by ijr9005 View Post
    he wants to play st wine 6.0eam games, so he needs to install wine 6.0
    Assuming that what you meant to write was that they want to play Windows games on Steam that need a recent Wine version to run on Linux, you don't need to install Wine at all. Proton (Valve's Wine implementation) is built into Steam. Just select the game in the library and, from its Properties, say that you want to use a specific compatibility tool and pick whichever version of Proton you want. The version numbers correspond to the Wine version, and there is other technology involved as well.

If you want to use a later version of Wine to play games outside of Steam, you still don't need to install a particular version of Wine. Install a version of Wine, so that you have the prerequisites, and install Lutris. You can pick a different version of Wine for each game, and each game runs in its own bottle so they don't conflict.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Wine.

Beans

thanks for that info,my pals keps being drawn back to windows at every hurdle, i tell him windows is like a leased car, zero maintenance to do ,but expensive, linux like a secondhand car, good VFM but you have to be able to do an oil change