Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: USB drives switch off after a while

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: USB drives switch off after a while

Quote Originally Posted by phile-mitti99 View Post
    My USB drives have switched off and I have written dmesg -w, when I unplug a device it does not log anything
    If there isn't any power, how can they tell the OS anything?
    If the monitor is switched off, do you expect the computer to know when it is connected and disconnected?

Beans

My USB drives have switched off and I have written dmesg -w, when I unplug a device it does not log anything
    Please post whole output of dmesg - logs from the beginning, from the time the computer was started.

I suspect it may be a problem with the hardware itself, like worn out USB ports or cables.

Beans

Post Re: USB drives switch off after a while

dmesg_2020-04-07.zip

I compressed the file in a ZIP, otherwise the file was too big. In the last area, the USB drive switched off.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

dmesg_2020-04-07.zip

I compressed the file in a ZIP, otherwise the file was too big. In the last area, the USB drive switched off.
    If the drive disconnects while it is being used, that's a physical problem. Could be the port on the computer, USB cable, port on the external disk, the USB controller could have a short, or the disk could be failing.

Or is the external power supply having a short? I don't recall an answer for whether any external power is supplied to the USB external disk. Is it?

Beans

My hard drive is only supplied with power from the USB port. I noticed, however, that when the laptop is connected to the power supply, the USB drives turn off. This happens for different lengths of time, but it also seems to me that when I run two virtual machines and use the mouse, the USB drives switch off. I think this switches off when there is high power consumption.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My hard drive is only supplied with power from the USB port. I noticed, however, that when the laptop is connected to the power supply, the USB drives turn off. This happens for different lengths of time, but it also seems to me that when I run two virtual machines and use the mouse, the USB drives switch off. I think this switches off when there is high power consumption.
    I don't think there is a fix possible for that drive. Be careful to purchase externally powered drives in the future.
    These days, for VM storage, I'd strongly consider an external SSD assuming usb3 connectivity. That would remove the external power requirement too.

Beans

I'm still a student at a technical school and I learn about computer science, at least I have learned and have a document from the hard drive open. I have this document open for about 11 hours and I believe that the hard drive has not gone into standby mode. The USB drives also run for these 11 hours. But when the hard drive is in standby mode and I used the mouse, the USB drives switch off. Can it also be due to the hardware?
    Last edited by phile-mitti99; April 7th, 2021 at 09:41 PM.

Beans

I entered lsusb -vv and analyzed the power consumption of each device

Hard drive = MaxPower: 900mA
    Camera = MaxPower: 500mA
    USB-Stick = MaxPower: 500mA
    Mouse = MaxPower: 100mA

The hard drive consumes a lot of power, so i'm trying to switch to a stick because it needs less power. If the problem no longer occurs, I'll let you know.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123