Thread: PC unable to boot, by pressing the start-button

Beans

PC unable to boot, by pressing the start-button

Hi all,

I have an old PC resting on shelve sometimes which I shall use it for testing installing cPanel.

Configuration:
    CPU - AMD 8-core
    HD - 1TB SSD
    RAM - 2x4G 8G

Yesterday, I took it down, upgrading OS Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 and tested it without problem for 2~3 hours. Today I couldn't start it, pressing the start-button without response. Also I have tried using a screw-driver to shorten its connectors. The green LED is on the motherboard. Also there is USB power output. I tested it with an USB light.

It is very strange to me. Please advise where shall I start to check first. Would it be the power supply problem? Or CPU problem? I have no spare CPU to check.

Please advise. Thanks

Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: PC unable to boot, by pressing the start-button

Most likely the power supply. Next most likely would be the mother board.

I assume that you have checked wiring connections?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    Most likely the power supply. Next most likely would be the mother board.
    There is power output from the power supply. I tested it by plugging a LED light to USB port. It worked with the LED light on. I have no spare power supply. To replace it for checking I have to remove a power supply from another PC.

I have no idea checking the motherboard. It looks quite funny to me. Day before yesterday I have been working on this old PC for 2~3 hours, including rebooting several times

I assume that you have checked wiring connections?
    Yes, I have done it including unplugging RAM, connecting the connectors of Power-On switch with a screw driver without result.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'd suggest the same components as Autodave, but probably reverse the likelihood. It could go either way. Obviously letting out the magic smoke would be a sign.

Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    There is power output from the power supply.
    That doesn't necessarily tell you much. The PSU provides power on multiple rails at different voltages. A failed PSU can still provide power on some but not others.

The motherboard uses those rails to perform functions. A failed motherboard can still utilise power from some even if it's not able to utilise power from all of them.

Plus UEFI settings can cause a machine to fail to boot.

And although CPU and RAM don't generally fail as early as, say, capacitors in motherboards or PSUs, a history of overclocking or high temperatures can cause either to suddenly fail.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    I'd suggest the same components as Autodave, but probably reverse the likelihood. It could go either way. Obviously letting out the magic smoke would be a sign.

That doesn't necessarily tell you much. The PSU provides power on multiple rails at different voltages. A failed PSU can still provide power on some but not others.

The motherboard uses those rails to perform functions. A failed motherboard can still utilise power from some even if it's not able to utilise power from all of them.

Plus UEFI settings can cause a machine to fail to boot.

And although CPU and RAM don't generally fail as early as, say, capacitors in motherboards or PSUs, a history of overclocking or high temperatures can cause either to suddenly fail.
    Hello,

There is no problem on my old PC.

I have dismantled all components, thoroughly cleaned them with brush and vacuum cleaner and reassembled them.

Now my old PC can be started and booted. It is still working strong.

$ inxi -C
    Code:
    CPU:
      Topology: 8-Core model: AMD FX-8150 bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
      Speed: 1487 MHz min/max: 1400/3600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2084 2: 1470 
      3: 1416 4: 1409 5: 1950 6: 1886 7: 4064 8: 4247
    $ inxi -M
    Code:
    Machine:
      Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx 
      serial: <superuser/root required> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 1302 
      date: 11/14/2012
    $ inxi -D
    Code:
    Drives:
      Local Storage: total: 2.75 TiB used: 241.59 GiB (8.6%) 
      ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Transcend model: TS1TSSD370 size: 953.87 GiB 
      ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Western Digital model: WD2002FAEX-007BA0 
      size: 1.82 TiB
    $ sudo inxi -m
    Code:
    Memory:
      RAM: total: 7.68 GiB used: 2.54 GiB (33.1%) 
      Array-1: capacity: 32 GiB slots: 4 EC: None 
      Device-1: DIMM0 size: 2 GiB speed: 1333 MT/s 
      Device-2: DIMM1 size: 2 GiB speed: 1333 MT/s 
      Device-3: DIMM2 size: 2 GiB speed: 1333 MT/s 
      Device-4: DIMM3 size: 2 GiB speed: 1333 MT/s
    Anyway, lot of thanks for your advice.

Regards