Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't delete or copy files from external hard drive

Beans

Can't delete or copy files from external hard drive

I use an external hard drive to backup my computer to. It's always been reliable.
    A few days ago I tried to copy some of the backup files to another external hard drive I got from work. This operation failed (I think there's something wrong with and "Acess Denied" tp that latter drive half way through copying).
    Now I cannot delete or copy files from the first, normally reliable drive. I've tried plugging the drive into two different computers running Linux and both reported the same problem
    I *can* however write a file to the drive and delete it.

Also, Clonezilla started from a live DVD seems to be able to write to it.

I have no idea what is wrong with the drive, but here is the output of "mount" with the drive plugged in. The drive is sdg1 "Elements":

Code:
    brent@tower-i5:~$ mount
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=3974244k,nr_inodes=993561,mode=755)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
    tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=804584k,mode=755)
    /dev/sda3 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime)
    securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
    tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
    cgroup2 on /sys/fs/cgroup/unified type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,name=systemd)
    pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    efivarfs on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars type efivarfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    none on /sys/fs/bpf type bpf (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=700)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/pids type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/rdma type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,rdma)
    systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=28,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=21142)
    mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime,pagesize=2M)
    debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    tracefs on /sys/kernel/tracing type tracefs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    /var/lib/snapd/snaps/core18_1997.snap on /snap/core18/1997 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
    /var/lib/snapd/snaps/core18_1988.snap on /snap/core18/1988 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
    /var/lib/snapd/snaps/core_10908.snap on /snap/core/10908 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
    /var/lib/snapd/snaps/gtk2-common-themes_13.snap on /snap/gtk2-common-themes/13 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
    /var/lib/snapd/snaps/gtk-common-themes_1514.snap on /snap/gtk-common-themes/1514 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
    /var/lib/snapd/snaps/gnome-3-34-1804_66.snap on /snap/gnome-3-34-1804/66 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)
    /var/lib/snapd/snaps/kompozer_4.snap on /snap/kompozer/4 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)                                                                                         
    /var/lib/snapd/snaps/protracker_125.snap on /snap/protracker/125 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)                                                                                 
    /var/lib/snapd/snaps/puddletag-snap_3.snap on /snap/puddletag-snap/3 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)                                                                             
    /var/lib/snapd/snaps/snapd_11402.snap on /snap/snapd/11402 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)                                                                                       
    /var/lib/snapd/snaps/kde-frameworks-5-core18_32.snap on /snap/kde-frameworks-5-core18/32 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)                                                         
    /var/lib/snapd/snaps/youtube-dl_3805.snap on /snap/youtube-dl/3805 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)                                                                               
    /var/lib/snapd/snaps/synfigstudio_2.snap on /snap/synfigstudio/2 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime,x-gdu.hide)                                                                                 
    /dev/sda1 on /boot/efi type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)                                                       
    binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=804580k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1001)
    gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1001)
    /dev/sdg1 on /media/brent/Elements type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uhelper=udisks2)
    /dev/sdb1 on /media/brent/Media_Drive type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks2)
    Last edited by Brent_Santin; April 4th, 2021 at 06:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can't delet or copy files from external hard drive

Only need the 1-line for the specific partition mounted:
    Code:
    /dev/sdg1 on /media/brent/Elements type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uhelper=udisks2)
    Check the file/directory permissions.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FilePermissions
    https://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/permissions

There's no way to avoid learning these, so take the 30 minutes now, work through a tutorial, and save the hours, days,weeks,months of frustration.

Beans

Re: Can't delet or copy files from external hard drive

Okay thanks.
    I did notice I only seem to be able to NOT copy the larger files. And these say some of the perimssions are FORBIDDEN on them and cannot be changed through the GUI.
    I'll read the document.
    Last edited by Brent_Santin; April 4th, 2021 at 06:55 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Can't delete or copy files from external hard drive

Show us the output of command
    Code:
    ls -l /media/brent/Elements
    as I suspect that partition mount-point is probably owned by root.
    If that is the case you will need to run
    Code:
    sudo chown -R brent:brent /media/brent/Elements
    to make you the owner.

However, you say that you are able to write to it which suggests you are owner, and read from it but simply not copy a file from it which seems very unusual.
    Try using terminal to copy a file on that partition to somewhere in your home folder with command [copy]cp /media/brent/Elements/filename /home/brent[/code] which may give you more of an error that means something.
    Use the real name instead of filename as I have in my command of course.

Beans

Okay, I will do as ajgreeny suggests in the previous post.

I did some more investigating. It seems this is not a drive corruption error. Clonezilla (backup software that writes to those drives) is doing something to lock the permissions of the larger files in the archive - the files that contain the compressed data.
    This makes it difficult for me to delete the folder containing the drive image when the image becomes old and no longer relevant.
    Last edited by Brent_Santin; April 4th, 2021 at 10:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Clonezilla is imaging software, not backup software. There is a difference.

Backup software supports versioning, so we can have 20, 50, 180 backup versions with relatively little overhead, usually for less than 2 images in storage used. Many backup solutions use 30% more for 90-180 days of daily backups - so if the storage to be backed up is 50G, then for 90 days of versioned backups, we'd need 65G. Just something to consider.

To get a system backup, running as root is required so areas on the file systems only available to root can be included. It also solves the owner, group, ACL capture issue when files owned by multiple different users are in the backup - say your family shares the same computer and there is
    • /home/mom
    • /home/dad
    • /home/allison

to be backed up. root running the backups will retain the correct permissions, whereas if any other userid is used, then Unix permissions wouldn't allow the owner to be mom, dad, or allison. This is all standard Unix permissions, so that understanding is worth/necessary to understand to avoid problems later.

Beans

As I said, I'm using a new version of Clonezilla (2.7.x) and it seems to lock permissions on the large archive files within a backup (a drive image).
    I've now determined it's not the drive, as I tried Clonezilla on another external drive and the file permission issue is the same (certain large files in the image directory cannot be copied/deleted/etc.).
    All I want to do is be able to manually delete or copy a folder containing a drive image.

Here is the output of "ls -l" on one such problematic Clonezilla drive image directory on the external HD:

Code:
    brent@tower-i5:/media/brent/Elements/Lubuntu20^04_backups/2021-04-04-16-img_Lubuntu$ ls -l
    total 31757120
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       1073 Apr  4 12:35 blkdev.list
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root        870 Apr  4 12:35 blkid.list
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       9823 Apr  4 13:11 clonezilla-img
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root        235 Apr  4 12:54 dev-fs.list
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root          4 Apr  4 12:55 disk
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       2022 Apr  4 12:55 efi-nvram.dat
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root      21666 Apr  4 13:10 Info-dmi.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root        236 Apr  4 13:11 Info-img-id.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root      26302 Apr  4 13:10 Info-lshw.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       2274 Apr  4 13:11 Info-lspci.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       1796 Apr  4 13:11 Info-OS-prober.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root        195 Apr  4 13:11 Info-packages.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root        103 Apr  4 13:11 Info-saved-by-cmd.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       5288 Apr  4 13:11 Info-smart.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root         20 Apr  4 12:55 parts
    -rw------- 1 root root   16458463 Apr  4 12:35 sda1.vfat-ptcl-img.gz.aa
    -rw------- 1 root root      73501 Apr  4 12:35 sda2.dd-ptcl-img.gz.aa
    -rw------- 1 root root 4096000000 Apr  4 12:37 sda3.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.aa
    -rw------- 1 root root 4096000000 Apr  4 12:39 sda3.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.ab
    -rw------- 1 root root 4096000000 Apr  4 12:41 sda3.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.ac
    -rw------- 1 root root 4096000000 Apr  4 12:43 sda3.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.ad
    -rw------- 1 root root 4096000000 Apr  4 12:45 sda3.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.ae
    -rw------- 1 root root 4096000000 Apr  4 12:47 sda3.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.af
    -rw------- 1 root root 4096000000 Apr  4 12:50 sda3.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.ag
    -rw------- 1 root root 3413752090 Apr  4 12:54 sda3.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.ah
    -rw------- 1 root root  416766485 Apr  4 12:55 sda4.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.aa
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root         37 Apr  4 12:35 sda-chs.sf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root      17408 Apr  4 12:35 sda-gpt-1st
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root      16384 Apr  4 12:35 sda-gpt-2nd
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root      17920 Apr  4 12:35 sda-gpt.gdisk
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root        770 Apr  4 12:35 sda-gpt.sgdisk
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root        512 Apr  4 12:35 sda-mbr
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root        574 Apr  4 12:35 sda-pt.parted
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root        504 Apr  4 12:35 sda-pt.parted.compact
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root        820 Apr  4 12:35 sda-pt.sf
    brent@tower-i5:/media/brent/Elements/Lubuntu20^04_backups/2021-04-04-16-img_Lubuntu$
    As you can see, the large files (the compressed data - zip format I believe) have fewer file permissions than the others. The small files I *can* move/copy/delete. It's just the larger ones I cannot and I am unable to change the file permission with the OS gui (i.e. right click on file/permissions tab). It says "Access denied".

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide.
    Last edited by Brent_Santin; April 4th, 2021 at 10:49 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Clonezilla is imaging software, not backup software. There is a difference.

Backup software supports versioning, so we can have 20, 50, 180 backup versions with relatively little overhead, usually for less than 2 images in storage used. Many backup solutions use 30% more for 90-180 days of daily backups - so if the storage to be backed up is 50G, then for 90 days of versioned backups, we'd need 65G. Just something to consider.

To get a system backup, running as root is required so areas on the file systems only available to root can be included. It also solves the owner, group, ACL capture issue when files owned by multiple different users are in the backup - say your family shares the same computer and there is
    • /home/mom
    • /home/dad
    • /home/allison

to be backed up. root running the backups will retain the correct permissions, whereas if any other userid is used, then Unix permissions wouldn't allow the owner to be mom, dad, or allison. This is all standard Unix permissions, so that understanding is worth/necessary to understand to avoid problems later.
    Thanks for the clarification. I do make one or two Clonezilla images of the drive when I do a major system update, then use "rsync" to back up the home directory on a more regular basis.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Brent_Santin View Post
    Code:
    brent@tower-i5:/media/brent/Elements/Lubuntu20^04_backups/2021-04-04-16-img_Lubuntu$ ls -l
    total 31757120
    -rw------- 1 root root   16458463 Apr  4 12:35 sda1.vfat-ptcl-img.gz.aa
    -rw------- 1 root root      73501 Apr  4 12:35 sda2.dd-ptcl-img.gz.aa
    -rw------- 1 root root 4096000000 Apr  4 12:39 sda3.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.ab
    -rw------- 1 root root 4096000000 Apr  4 12:41 sda3.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.ac
    -rw------- 1 root root 4096000000 Apr  4 12:43 sda3.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.ad
    -rw------- 1 root root 4096000000 Apr  4 12:45 sda3.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.ae
    -rw------- 1 root root 4096000000 Apr  4 12:47 sda3.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.af
    -rw------- 1 root root 4096000000 Apr  4 12:50 sda3.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.ag
    -rw------- 1 root root 3413752090 Apr  4 12:54 sda3.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.ah
    -rw------- 1 root root  416766485 Apr  4 12:55 sda4.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.aa
    brent@tower-i5:/media/brent/Elements/Lubuntu20^04_backups/2021-04-04-16-img_Lubuntu$
    As you can see, the large files (the compressed data - zip format I believe) have fewer file permissions than the others. The small files I *can* move/copy/delete. It's just the larger ones I cannot and I am unable to change the file permission with the OS gui (i.e. right click on file/permissions tab). It says "Access denied".

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide.
    You call that a problem, but it isn't. Those are compressed clones of all the files at the block-level for the partition, split into specific sizes. Partitions aren't available for the world read for a good reason. There isn't any use in you having access to those files, unless your goal is to delete them. If that's the goal, you'll want to delete the entire directory. Use sudo rm for that. Be EXTREMELY careful, since a mistake with that command almost ways WILL BE TERRIBLE.

If you want to copy the files, use sudo as well and leave them owned by root, so you know to be extra careful with those block files.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Show us the output of command
    Code:
    ls -l /media/brent/Elements
    as I suspect that partition mount-point is probably owned by root.
    Please see the output of this command in my post a few message back.

Try using terminal to copy a file on that partition to somewhere in your home folder with command [copy]cp /media/brent/Elements/filename /home/brent[/code] which may give you more of an error that means something.
    Use the real name instead of filename as I have in my command of course.
    The output of trying to copy a file from the USB hard-drive was:

Code:
    brent@brent-OptiPlex-GX620:~$ cp /media/brent/Elements/Lubuntu20^04_backups/2021-04-03-18-img_Lubuntu_aftrLowLtcy/sdb1.vfat-ptcl-img.gz.aa /home/brent
    cp: cannot open '/media/brent/Elements/Lubuntu20^04_backups/2021-04-03-18-img_Lubuntu_aftrLowLtcy/sdb1.vfat-ptcl-img.gz.aa' for reading: Permission denied
    brent@brent-OptiPlex-GX620:~$
    The file I tried to copy was one of the ones that only has the permission flags similar to:

Code:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast