Thread: Everything Slows Down When Typing

Beans

Everything Slows Down When Typing

Hello,

I've installed Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 and it runs fine, except for one thing. Everything slows down when I type, and it is extremely noticeable when I press the spacebar and backspace really fast. Everything freezes and I can hear my PC fans spinning faster. Everything just freezes for some reason. I am a fast typer and when I'm trying to type messages on Discord or anything it's also noticeable. I've recorded a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvectst_STU

I type in some gibberish slowly and that goes fine. Then I start mashing backspace and spacebar and everything just completely freezes until I give it less inputs. At the end I hold backspace and it does not unfreeze until I let it go. Any ideas?

Specs:
    GTX 970
    i7-4790k
    8GB
    Z97x Gaming 3

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Everything Slows Down When Typing

Are you using the proprietary Nvidia drivers or the open-source nouveau?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Perhaps also do the following to help identifying the cause. Run "top" in a terminal, right-click the titlebar to keep it on top. Do your typing test and you will see which processes are starting to use the CPU.

Beans

Maybe the NSA key logger infrastructure is a bit overloaded?
    😂

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Perhaps also do the following to help identifying the cause. Run "top" in a terminal, right-click the titlebar to keep it on top. Do your typing test and you will see which processes are starting to use the CPU.
    Hello,

The Xorg commands shoots up to 90% and higher right after my PC stops freezing. I've plugged in another keyboard and I am able to type fine with that. I would really like to use this keyboard though.