Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have some issues

Beans

Re: I have some issues

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    You would have gone out of your way to make backups. If you haven't, don't change anything until you do. Your data is at risk enough already. Not having backups is like having diarrhea but not wearing underwear. It is just a matter of time before a blowout, or much worse, happens.

A 2-4TB HDD is $$30-$50. Create some backups, please.

I don't have any money to buy extra space right now, because I bought a drive for games and it isn't gonna be here for a while.
    So I shouldn't attempt the deletion before my drive comes correct?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Correct
    regards

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rbmorse View Post
    Correct
    So should I try it when my ssd expansion for my laptop comes in about a week?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by qazwsxedcrfv64 View Post
    So should I try it when my ssd expansion for my laptop comes in about a week?
    Actually, my previous answer wasn't complete. You should wait to remove Ubuntu until you backup your important user data files. The backup should not be kept on the same storage device that also holds data you need to backup so using your new SSD probably isn't the best thing to do. Get a separate device to hold the backup.

Also, before you try to remove Ubuntu, you should have the Windows rescue device mentioned earlier, just in case.
    regards

Beans

Actually, my previous answer wasn't complete. You should wait to remove Ubuntu until you backup your important user data files. The backup should not be kept on the same storage device that also holds data you need to backup so using your new SSD probably isn't the best thing to do. Get a separate device to hold the backup.

Also, before you try to remove Ubuntu, you should have the Windows rescue device mentioned earlier, just in case.
    My new SSD is gonna be a second storage space, my boot drive isn't changing.
    With the SSD is coming a cord to plug into my laptops motherboard and I was thinking of doing the backup to that since I don't have another thing to back my stuff up to.

Beans
    Distro

I want to say that's better than nothing, and in some ways it is, but in other ways it would be misleading.

I can't set priorities for you....only you can make the decisions about whether having a good backup of your data is more important than other things you want to do. You have to make that decision and act accordingly.

If you were me you wouldn't even turn on a laptop until you had a solid and tested backup process in place because I believe with all my heart that laptops were invented with sole purpose of losing data. But if you don't look at things that way I can respect that, but I'm also really limited in what I can do to help.

You've had three or four people here tell you that making a good backup of your data is the first step. Using your new SSD to hold a copy of your important data while you mess with the operating system is not a bad idea, but it's far from proper backup. But, maybe that's a risk you're willing to take. And if it is then I wish you success and good luck. In all likelihood you will be able to do what you want with no problem. And if you have a problem we'll be here to help, if we can.
    regards

Beans

Red face Re: I have some issues

I want to say that's better than nothing, and in some ways it is, but in other ways it would be misleading.

I can't set priorities for you....only you can make the decisions about whether having a good backup of your data is more important than other things you want to do. You have to make that decision and act accordingly.

If you were me you wouldn't even turn on a laptop until you had a solid and tested backup process in place because I believe with all my heart that laptops were invented with sole purpose of losing data. But if you don't look at things that way I can respect that, but I'm also really limited in what I can do to help.

You've had three or four people here tell you that making a good backup of your data is the first step. Using your new SSD to hold a copy of your important data while you mess with the operating system is not a bad idea, but it's far from proper backup. But, maybe that's a risk you're willing to take. And if it is then I wish you success and good luck. In all likelihood you will be able to do what you want with no problem. And if you have a problem we'll be here to help, if we can.

Thanks, I will try that when it arrives later this week and I'll consult this forum when I try it.

Beans

Can you tell me which one the ubuntu partition is?

Beans

Nevermind, I deleted the 12 gig one, but I have a new question.
    Why is there still a ubuntu boot option in the boot menu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

UEFI systems always retain the .efi files (In the ESP - EFI System Partition) regardless of OS' partitions having been deleted. There's no problem keeping them. You can and should manage the boot order in UEFI settings > Boot. Depending on the particular firmware it may allow removing some entries. Also possible to do from the OS. With Ubuntu we would use efibotmgr. In Windows I don't know but I'm sure you can find information about it in one of the thousands of online resources dedicated to Windows.

Good bye and good luck in your future endeavors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12