Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have some issues

Beans

Question I have some issues

I use a laptop that once had enough space to be able to dual boot with windows and ubuntu but, now since I am using primarily windows, I can't afford to have ubuntu take up that space. I really like the operating system and think its great, but I want to know how to safely remove it without bricking my laptop or messing it up.
    Another reason I want to uninstall it is because if I accidently load into ubuntu while windows wasn't fully shut down, my computer panics and messes up the Wifi, Time, Bluetooth, and other things.
    Please help me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: I have some issues

1. Run Microsoft's partitioning tool and remove/delete all the Linux partitions. If you don't know which to remove, post that data and we can guess.
    2. Use the Windows rescue disk to "fix" the boot process - at least in the way that MSFT thinks "fix" means - only boot Windows.

Or
    • Reinstall Windows - it will take the entire drive and wipe everything for you. Is that what you want?

Clearly, backup anything you don't want to lose before doing either of these. That includes Windows files. It is very common for people not used to dealing with partitions to make mistakes and delete stuff they shouldn't. Would be best if your backups also had been fully tested via a restore. Backups without a restore test really aren't backups, they are just "wishful thinking."

Beans

I want to keep all my windows files and what is a Windows rescue disk?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

what is a Windows rescue disk?
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...6-73fab304c246

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by qazwsxedcrfv64 View Post
    I want to keep all my windows files and what is a Windows rescue disk?
    These are all Windows questions. Perhaps asking in a Windows-centric forum would get better results?
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...8-3121161c416e seems to be for win7. I haven't seen any newer versions of Windows, sorry.

Google found this for Win10:
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/3140...ry-drives.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    These are all Windows questions. Perhaps asking in a Windows-centric forum would get better results?
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...8-3121161c416e seems to be for win7. I haven't seen any newer versions of Windows, sorry.

Google found this for Win10:
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/3140...ry-drives.html

Is there a chance for my system to become completely unusable because the recovery fails?
    Does the USB drive have to be formatted in a certain way?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Do you have back-ups of your Windows data?

If not, boot into Windows and back up now.

With back-ups, it does not matter if any recovery fails because you can always re-install and restore back-ups.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Do you have back-ups of your Windows data?

If not, boot into Windows and back up now.

With back-ups, it does not matter if any recovery fails because you can always re-install and restore back-ups.

How do I know if I have back-ups
    Do you mean like a entire copy of all my files on a separate drive? If so, no I don't and I don't have anywhere I can put a backup of all my files.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by qazwsxedcrfv64 View Post
    How do I know if I have back-ups
    Do you mean like a entire copy of all my files on a separate drive? If so, no I don't and I don't have anywhere I can put a backup of all my files.
    You would have gone out of your way to make backups. If you haven't, don't change anything until you do. Your data is at risk enough already. Not having backups is like having diarrhea but not wearing underwear. It is just a matter of time before a blowout, or much worse, happens.

A 2-4TB HDD is $$30-$50. Create some backups, please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Not having backups is like having diarrhea but not wearing underwear. It is just a matter of time before a blowout, or much worse, happens.
    That is a metaphor, which would be difficult to improve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast