Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My SSD (Samsung Evo 970 1TB) does not get recognized as a bootable device

Beans

My SSD (Samsung Evo 970 1TB) does not get recognized as a bootable device

Hello, I've made a bootable usb drive with Ubuntu and I went ahead and installed it. First I tried making my own partitions. Followed a tutorial and it went fine until after the installation. A splash screen comes up saying that I need to remove my bootable device (usb) to continue. I do that and ubuntu restarts only to tell me that I dont have any bootable devices. (Doesnt recognize Ubuntu on the ssd)

Same thing happens if I use the automatic installation (so not the something elsd option). When I plug my usb back in and press the try ubuntu button it starts up fine. And when I made my own petitions I could see them just fine.

What is going on here? Would appreciate help!

EDIT 4-4: Fixed the problem. If you happen to have a Z97x-3 Gaming motherboard, update your bios. I still had version F5. Newest is F8. Go to Gigabyte's website.
    Last edited by mccoo8884; April 4th, 2021 at 07:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: My SSD (Samsung Evo 970 1TB) does not get recognized as a bootable device

Welcome.

Are you sure you can "see" your 1TB SSD and that you're actually installing Ubuntu there? If so, and you have have an error message after rebooting that means your firmware, UEFI or BIOS, is misconfigured. Either it's installed in the wrong mode and/or incorrect boot order is selected.

Beans

I am sure. It shows 1 tb of space when I did the partitions myself and I took out my other drives. Yes that probably is the case but I have no idea what I should reconfigure it to to be honest. Any ideas? Ssd also doesnt show up in my boot devices in the bios.

Thanks for the welcome

Beans

I am sure. It shows 1 tb of space when I did the partitions myself and I took out my other drives. Yes that probably is the case but I have no idea what I should reconfigure it to to be honest. Any ideas? Ssd also doesnt show up in my boot devices in the bios.

Thanks for the welcome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

If the ssd is not showing up in the bios I would sort that out before looking at ubuntu. Irrespective of the OS you want to install, you need to make sure, at a basic level, your pc can 'see' your HD/ssd. Perhaps do some google research on your ssd and motherboard/bios - once the motherboard/bios can see the ssd you can then look at os (ubuntu) installation issues.

Beans

Hello, I've made a bootable usb drive with Ubuntu and I went ahead and installed it.
    Did you download the Ubuntu iso file from the official Ubuntu site?
    Did you then verify the download with and md5 checksum?
    What software did you use to write the iso to the usb? Did you do this on windows or on a LInux?

First I tried making my own partitions. Followed a tutorial
    Does that mean you tried to install using the manual method (Something Else)? You forgot to post a link to whatever tutorial you used so there is no way for experienced users here to point out any errors/problems with it if any.

After the installation finishes and you are prompted to reboot, do you access the BIOS firmware and change the boot option to the SSD after removing the install usb?

I am sure. It shows 1 tb of space when I did the partitions myself and I took out my other drives.
    Other drives? What exactly was on these other drives? Data only? Some other OS? Did you reattach them before trying to boot Ubuntu from the SSD? If so, did you set the SSD to first boot priority? There seems to be some confusion about your SSD in posts above, is the SSD seen in the BIOS but not seen as a bootable device?

When you installed Ubuntu to the SSD, did you boot and install UEFI or Legacy/CSM?

Might be a good idea to post the output of either/both commands below with all drives attached:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    sudo parted -l

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

UEFI or BIOS install?
    How you boot install media, UEFI or BIOS is then how it installs.
    And then default boot mode in UEFI/BIOS needs to be in that boot mode.
    And some tools to create live installer, make only BIOS or only UEFI installers.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Yes, I used the official ISO. Didnt verify. Then I wrote it to a usb with rufus and I did that on windows 10. I used Ubuntu 20.04.2.0

Yes I used the manual mode of something else by following this: https://youtu.be/_azMm3OLuhs

I did change the mbs value of the EFI to 512. Sorry I meant other partitions not drives. There is only only device in my pc after the installation completes and i restart and that is the SSD with ubuntu on it. How do I execute that command?
    Last edited by mccoo8884; April 3rd, 2021 at 06:58 PM.

Beans

This is my bios: https://youtu.be/nOu7k9wDwoo in the panel bios features my boot option 1 is: UEFI: Kingston usb

And boot mode is put to UEFI only. It does not see my ssd. I am going to see if it sees it on windows.
    Last edited by mccoo8884; April 3rd, 2021 at 06:49 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lets see details, use ppa version with your live installer (2nd option) or any working install, not Boot-Repair ISO:
    Please copy & paste the pastebin link to the Boot-info summary report ( do not post report), do not run the auto fix till reviewed.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast