Thread: Connection from Ubuntu client to existing LDAP server via SSSD not working

Beans

Unhappy Connection from Ubuntu client to existing LDAP server via SSSD not working

Hello friends,

I'd like to ask you for a help. I'm facing the strange behavior...

I need to connect one Ubuntu server (20.04 LTS) to the existing LDAP server.
    I've followed this tutorial: https://kifarunix.com/configure-sssd...-ubuntu-20-04/
    But can't manage it like that in my case

There shouldn't be a problem with LDAP server, since I'm able to connect to it from RHEL servers without any problems..

What I tried already:
    1. SSSD configured without TLS -> I can see the users from LDAP, but impossible to login via SSH
    Code:
    root@infra4:~# id pbarczi
    uid=208973(pbarczi) gid=44346(SK001852) groups=44346(SK001852)
    root@infra4:~# ssh pbarczi@localhost
    pbarczi@localhost's password:
    Connection closed by 127.0.0.1 port 22
    2. SSSD configured with TLS -> I can not even see the LDAP users, seems like issue with TLS, can not download certificate from LDAP server:
    Code:
    root@infra:~# openssl s_client -connect 160.118.26.136:389 -starttls ldap -showcerts < /dev/null | openssl x509 -text | sed -ne '/-BEGIN CERTIFICATE-/,/-END CERTIFICATE-/p'
    write:errno=0
    unable to load certificate
    140532498875712:error:0909006C:PEM routines:get_name:no start line:../crypto/pem/pem_lib.c:745:Expecting: TRUSTED CERTIFICATE
    When I try the same from RHEL client, there is no such problem.. Login successful (both without TLS + with TLS)

Any idea what could cause such problems?

Many thank in advance!
    Peter

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Connection from Ubuntu client to existing LDAP server via SSSD not working

The root account is never, ever, allowed to use remote credentials.

If you run getent passwd pbarczi,. does that work?
    What about sudo getent shadow pbarczi?

I've never used sssd to connect to LDAP. Always just configured PAM to point at the LDAP POSIX scheme. But with ssh, we don't allow password-based logins after the first 5 minutes. From that point on, they are required to use ssh-keys or ssh-certs.

I doubt any of this will be helpful. Sorry.

Beans

Re: Connection from Ubuntu client to existing LDAP server via SSSD not working

I've tested it also via other local non-root account, but still the same.
    Yes, the getent passwd works..

We just use only SSSD in order to authenticate towards LDAP, it works like a charm on RHEL servers, but in this case we need to connect Ubuntu..

Never mind, thanks for your post..