Thread: Trying to stream audio over LAN

Beans

Trying to stream audio over LAN

I'm trying to stream audio from my desktop to a raspberry pi over my LAN wifi using pulseaudio. The only thing that has worked at all is to use the paprefs on the server, and select multicast RTP, which then I can select on the PI under playback devices. However, the audio only comes through in bursts, like every couple of seconds or so, I get a blast of staticy sound that, after a few minutes, I start to recognize is indeed the music that I have playing on the server. Any suggestions as to why it's not playing smoothly? I have tried streaming to both a PI 3 and a Pi Zero W, and I get the same result both times, so I think the problem is probably with the server setup?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Trying to stream audio over LAN

I can't help with streaming audio over pulseaudio (I didn't even realise it was a possibility) but I do use minidlna which will stream media files very easily and effectively.

Try that and I suspect you may find it is simple and will stream not only to a dlna client on the Pi vlc perhaps, but to other clients as well, eg, smartTV if you use such things in your home.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Trying to stream audio over LAN

Quote Originally Posted by jessica43928 View Post
    I'm trying to stream audio from my desktop to a raspberry pi over my LAN wifi using pulseaudio. The only thing that has worked at all is to use the paprefs on the server, and select multicast RTP, which then I can select on the PI under playback devices. However, the audio only comes through in bursts, like every couple of seconds or so, I get a blast of staticy sound that, after a few minutes, I start to recognize is indeed the music that I have playing on the server. Any suggestions as to why it's not playing smoothly? I have tried streaming to both a PI 3 and a Pi Zero W, and I get the same result both times, so I think the problem is probably with the server setup?
    I have done exactly that but over a wired LAN network; streaming audio over RTP with pulseaudio. I had good results on pi 3b+ and pi 4b units; no pausing at all. My slowest pi unit, LAN wise, is a pi 3b (2016 hardware release, 100 Mb/s connection), it worked but performance was occasionally a bit patchy but with only occasional audio pauses. Nowhere near as bad as what you are reporting though.

Wifi speeds are generally much slower than a wired ethernet network. I suspect your issues are related to using older pi models and combining that with wifi usage. Even on the older units, particularly the pi 3b, it would be worth trying a wired ethernet LAN set up. I've never owned or tried a pi zero but from what I've read it doesn't have an ethernet port but can get connected to a wired LAN with a USB to ethernet adapter.

To my reading of your opening post it sounds as if the server is working, or trying to work, but being on a slow wifi network on older pi units is causing issues. Pi hardware can often be a bit under-powered/slow for some tasks, particularly with the older models.

My hardware and network setup was streaming from a HP "Envy 17" laptop to a wired LAN through an 8 port (originally a 5 port) network switch (1Gb/s full duplex capability for both switches) to three pi 3 units (1 pi 3b and 2 pi 3b+) and 2 pi 4b units. All worked flawlessly but for the slower pi 3b (100 Mb/s LAN) unit which had only very occasional pausing (still good enough to use). From my experience with file transfers over pi wifi connections I wouldn't even consider streaming pulseaudio audio, far too slow for my liking.

If you don't want to set up or test a wired network and want to stay on wifi I'd suggest you give ajgreeny's advice, of using a minidlna server, a try out. It may possibly perform a bit better than pulseaudio and RTP streaming on your network.

Regards, yeti.