Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best VPN with Ubuntu

Beans

Best VPN with Ubuntu

Does anyone have a recommendation as to what is the best virtual private network to use with Ubuntu 20.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Best VPN with Ubuntu

VPNs should be OS agnostic.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by thumper76 View Post
    Does anyone have a recommendation as to what is the best virtual private network to use with Ubuntu 20.04.
    "best" is highly subjective. What characteristics are important to you in a VPN? Are there specific issues that need to be addressed? What many well-meaning articles list as important for VPNs seldom consider the basics like - who runs the service, are they trustworthy, is it secure and does it stand up against legal filings in court?

Beans

I've had good luck with NordVPN. They have a Linux (deb) client that works on the command line.

Speed in generally pretty decent and they have a ton of servers. Price is also good, they have sales regularly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cybereality View Post
    I've had good luck with NordVPN. They have a Linux (deb) client that works on the command line.

Speed in generally pretty decent and they have a ton of servers. Price is also good, they have sales regularly.
    FYI, https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/21/...sed-encryption
    Always do your own research. Use our mentions as places to start, but since we all have different needs in a VPN and will tolerate different failures, they all have failures of some sort, the selection of a provider will be uniquely our own.

Well-known VPN providers completely break the reason some people might want a VPN. Going with a smaller VPN might be needed to be able to access certain parts of the internet when traveling. Many banks block access through VPNs as part of their security. That can be frustrating when traveling in less-known parts of the world that few customers from your bank visit.

Some people might find it safer to spin up a VPS and create their own VPN server for a few hours at a time for $0.02-$0.04/hour. We are Linux people. This isn't THAT hard and can be automated.

Lots of considerations.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just out today: https://www.howtogeek.com/722871/5-s...tworthy%c2%a0/
    • Be Wary of Free
    • Checking the Record
    • Bad Policy
    • Watch out for paid articles that are just marketing

I disagree with their final choice for the last reason.

Beans

Any VPN that doesn't log what you do and uses WireGuard would be my suggestion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm using Private Internet Access. It seems to work well enough though there is some concern about a recent hire there, I don't remember name or details but he had something of an unsavory past. I think when my year's subscription runs out I'm going to look at Mozilla's VPN. The Mozilla VPN costs about a dollar a month more but it's worth that to do a bit for years use of their software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Browsec; it’s free 24/7.

Owned by Russian’s. The server I use is next to Washington DC, lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Happy with mullvad.
    https://mullvad.net/en/