Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best VPN with Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Best VPN with Ubuntu

I like Nord VPN. Easy to turn on and turn off. And easy to change settings all through the command line.

Plus I just signed up again for 2 years for $80. You can't beat that price.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Best VPN with Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cryptik0x756c6f7573 View Post
    i suggest you read here https://privacytools.io/providers/vpn/ Understand what a VPN does and what it doesn't before using one, and why even using one in the first place. IMO they are all lies and "Shenanigans" but i guess someone can find the proper "usecase" for them.
    About 50% of VPN providers are not actually trying to protect anyone's privacy. Whether that is important or not is a personal choice. For many people "not my ISP" is sufficient privacy protection. For some people, insisting on privacy rights from their ISP, their Govt and most foreign Govts is the goal. A well selected VPN can certainly make it possible to have privacy for the connection from those 3 entities, but it won't magically prevent doing dumb things where they can trace traffic back to your location. That's much harder.

Using a VPN to appear to be in a different location isn't hard and is usually sufficient to get privacy against people sucking up data, but if we use facebook all day, all our friends are in London and all our tags and check-ins are in London, just because our IP appears to be in Vancouver, BC , well ... it doesn't take much to figure out that we're using a VPN or proxy and probably located in ... er ... London. Common sense stuff, but we all over-simplify stuff. Just don't over-simplify "vpn == privacy", since that isn't true. Behavior while using the VPN matters.

When using a VPN hoping for privacy, there are a few rules.
    • Never use the same account that you use for other purposes. Have a VPN use account, but don't let the username contain VPN. Usernames leak.
    • Never login to accounts you've ever used from your real location under the VPN. That goes for local and remote accounts. Have a VPN-Vancouver Facebook and Tweeter account.
    • Never connect your VPN accounts to your real location. This can be hard, since we are forgetful beings. 1 little click or knowing too much about a fake "remote" location (which is where you really are located) isn't smart.

Those are just a few considerations. There are many others. Think through your VPN use, account use, and have a different persona under the VPN based on which exit node it being used. Don't forget that using a VPN with an exit node in your city/state/province isn't a bad idea, under certain situations.

And think about the VPN provider. They know your real location AND what your exit node is for the connection period. If they keep logs, which most do, then don't expect to be hidden. The "no log" VPNs keep logs too, just they remove those logs quickly. The VPN I've used would delete logs within 3 minutes of the connection ending. If I kept a connection alive for a week, then they could have a weeks worth of logs. I made it a point to only keep a connection up for 12 hours, at most. Shorter if I were "working" and didn't wish to have logs longer. A quick reconnect to the VPN would cause minimal issues, but drop the older logs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12