Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Again? Lawsuit against Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Again? Lawsuit against Linux

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Not a problem with the browser. Javascript isn't mandatory. HTML is. It is a problem with the web page that they don't show the desired numbers when people DON'T have javascript enabled. My browser is working 100% correctly. Poor design by the company. Makes me wonder what else they do poorly ... besides web pages and lawsuits.
    That's a little judgemental, I think. I use a CMS (WordPress with a theme that I bought) that happens to provide this functionality. As a user of this theme (rather than as a developer), it wouldn't have even occurred to me to test it without Javascript — I depend on the experts to figure out this sort of thing. (I don't use this specific functionality, but hypothetically, if I were to…)

I would say, from my point of view, that you have the technical knowledge to disable Javascript and therefore you know that this will hobble some websites. If you were to come across my website and I had this problem, it would definitely say nothing about the quality of my services!

But at least I've learned to test my website against a browser with disabled Javascript
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This article provides a timeline.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...d-hat-and-ibm/

It's a bit of a "good grief" sensation.

Ubuntu is mentioned
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Tardigrades.
    I am offended on behalf of Tardigrades.

Tardigrades have long and honourable histories. They are unassuming and do no harm. They are microscopic vacuum cleaners that fulfill an essential role in their ecological niche. Not least, they are cute.

SCO/Xinuos is opposite in every which way.

I'm feeling hurt for my little buddies. What do you have against Tardigrades?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is speculation that cockroaches can survive a nuclear blast. It is more myth than reality. I do not have a fondness for cockroaches but comparing lawyers to cockroaches would be an insult to cockroaches. After all, cockroaches are what they are because of their DNA. Lawyers choose to get pleasure and rich making the lives of other people miserable through using litigation as a tool for legal extortion. and who made it legal? Can't you guess?

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    There is speculation that cockroaches can survive a nuclear blast. It is more myth than reality. I do not have a fondness for cockroaches but comparing lawyers to cockroaches would be an insult to cockroaches. After all, cockroaches are what they are because of their DNA. Lawyers choose to get pleasure and rich making the lives of other people miserable through using litigation as a tool for legal extortion. and who made it legal? Can't you guess?

Regards
    I'll have a stab at this- it must be the colony of Tardigrades, they seem to be omnipotent

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    I'll have a stab at this- it must be the colony of Tardigrades, they seem to be omnipotent
    Coincidentally, a BBC article on tardigrades: http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150...imals-on-earth
    Edit: Oops - duplicate. Shouldn't post that late at night, I guess.
    Last edited by The Cog; April 5th, 2021 at 10:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    Coincidentally, a BBC article on tardigrades: http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150...imals-on-earth
    Yes, I got my inspiration from post 13.

I had no knowledge of this species until I saw the link posted by QIII

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: the OP
    I don't know if saying this is socially acceptable but Its possible that those SCO folks are old farts by now and can't remember that they already sued. On another note it's also possible that those Tardigrades are responsible for the bit loss on removable media that we've been suffering for years. A bit here a bit there and pretty soon your talking about real data. I haven't seen a floppy disk in years! Actually I'm suffering from a bit of brain decay myself and I don't remember what I was putting on those 360kb disks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12