Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Audio in Ubuntu Studio

Beans

Re: Question about Audio in Ubuntu Studio

That is what comes up with mine, "capture 1 & 2". Yes I can record audio from line in, i just can't hear it before i record. I have looked through pulse audio and not sure if i have everything set up like i should. I am guessing there is something missing and i am not seeing it, obliviously lol.

I guess i'm not explaining it very well. When i play music from the phone that is plugged into line in, i hear nothing, but there is signal showing in the meters from line in. When i hit record, i still hear nothing, until i play back the video / recording, that is when i hear what was playing from the line in.

I will try and put some screenshots of the settings, maybe that will help with what i am seeing.
    Screenshot_2021-04-02_15-19-42.pngScreenshot_2021-04-02_15-20-52.pngScreenshot_2021-04-02_15-21-22.png

I am actually a network administrator, but i retired early, because 1 i moved back to my home town and not a smart thing to do as not much in the type of work i was looking for. 2 what i could find in regards to computers, they just frustrated me so much, i couldn't handle it. So i decided to retire from computers early. Going through this whole process, is reminding me why i gave up on them.

if you good at them, thats great. I am finding they are not something i want to do, i know enough to sort of solve my problems, but i can't deal with them on a regular basics. I pretty much got a expensive piece of paper that is just a paper weight and has put so much stress on me, in trying to pay off the stupid student loans from it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by gamestreamer View Post
    When i hit record, i still hear nothing, until i play back the video / recording, that is when i hear what was playing from the line in.
    Every program that records audio will have a setting to let you hear it as you're recording. It won't be enabled by default, because feedback, but it will be there.

I was wrong earlier, it's actually paprefs rather than pavucontrol that has the tick box for creating monitor streams for if it's not shown by your normal sound settings. It is included in KDE's, so it's not something I've particularly had to look for. Otherwise, I think it's "module-loopback" in the PulseAudio settings.

Also, the JACK connection graph you've made doesn't look right to me. For your use case I think you'd want to just connect your captures to your playbacks directly.

Beans

I know every program would allow you to hear as you are recording or such. I should be able to just hook something up by line in and play it through the computer if wanted. I had no problem in doing so with windows. It also makes sense you would want to hear what you are recording, to make sure it sounds right and at right levels as your recording.

I don't know where you would find that module-lookback setting.

I found the paprefs, which i had to install, but everything on it is greyed out and it won't do anything when i click on install in the box.

the JACK connections is what was already set when i click on connect button. I didn't do any changes with it. When i connect the system capture to the system playback, i get a buzz sound.

I tried going back to windows and i cant atm, so i am stuck with linux. I got a usb mic that i plugged in and using a bluetooth speaker for the game audio and having it go through the mic. I know its not an idea setup, but at least i am able to hear the game while recording.

Hopefully i will be able to figure this whole thing out if possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by gamestreamer View Post
    I know every program would allow you to hear as you are recording or such.
    And you haven't turned it on, because...?

I don't know where you would find that module-lookback setting.
    It's module-loopback. And you'd load that module by default by adding it to /etc/pulse/default.pa.

Beans

sorry i haven't replied for while. Been using speaker and mic for audio and recording, so i can hear game audio while i am streaming. It works, not the best setup, but what else can i do.

I am not understanding about haven't turned it on yet. That is what i am looking for, to be able to monitor and hear sound from line in before even recording or streaming. I just am not finding or understanding what to look for to do that.
    it
    I'm not seeing anything about module-loopback. I read where that link took me about modules and it was helpful, but i was completely lost. Maybe I have reached my level of interest in linux and just want stuff that is simple to click and work. Makes sense for anything to work.

I even tried putting ubuntu regular verison, one that you get from the ubuntu site. That i could see signal from line in and mic, but it wouldn't let me have separate controls for them. So i switched back to ubuntu studio, so far the studio version seems to be the best option, besides not hearing anything coming from the line in port.

I tried to put windows 10 back on and it works fine, but when i plug the usb cable in, i get a hum from it. I have made a video about that, explaining it best i can about that issue.
    I get the hum when i am on windows, but i don't get it when using linux. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoIKnH80urE

I almost feel like best thing is to go back to linux and use the speaker/mic setup that was the best solution. Linux is much better for streaming anyways, i just wish i could figure out the sound issue.

Beans

I was thinking for anyone to figure out how to solve my issue i am having..... here is what could do

Install a clean installation of Ubuntu Studio LTS and update of course. Connect your phone or other device with cable going into the line in, not the mic, but the line in. Play some music from the device and see if you can hear it through the speakers without recording. You should be able to plug device into line in and play music without having to do too much.

If you are able to do that, make sure you document your steps and let me know what exactly you did.

I get signal coming through the line in, but nothing comes out of speakers from the line in.

Good luck and hoping someone would be able to solve this issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12