Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Not able to install Virtualbox on ubuntu server 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Not able to install Virtualbox on ubuntu server 20.04

Do you have all the normal repos enabled? Please check that first.
    And have you been messing with python? The error messages are worrisome, they suggest you have a very broken system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I suspect the OP is entering "<focal>", not "focal" for the PPA stuff.

Whenever there is {something} or <something> in some instructions, the intent is that we will not include the {} or <> in our entry.

Beans

HI All,
    I think I'll give up...
    Now the system start again to freeze itself without having the opportunity to do anything. The only way is to reboot it in the "brutal" mode... (i.e. push the power button for some second)...
    I'll try to install ubuntu desktop, maybe for my basic experience is better...
    I'll let you know

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's quite obvious that you have deeper issues than installing Virtualbox.
    Yes, please reinstall and avoid messing with things you don't understand enough of yet. When in doubt ask first here, we're happy to help.

Beans

Thanks... I'll ask for sure

Beans

Hi Again Guys,
    As you know I decided to go back to ubuntu desktop because I think it's easier for me.
    Everything went very well since I installed the OS, then Anydesk in order to control it remotely and finally VirtualBOX, because I would like to enjoy myself playing with some different operatin system (FreeNAS above all).
    The problem is that I went back to the first post of this thread:
    Once I try to start the virtual machine it gives me back an error like I had no installed kernel driver. The exact error is: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908). See attached.
    Does anybody know how to install those drivers?
    Thanks again for the support you are giving to me...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would suggest you double-check the Secure Boot status and disable it if enabled.
    If it doesn't solve the problem then please run and post back the error messages resulting from the command suggested in your screenshot.

Beans

Hi CelticWarrior,
    as always precious suggestion .
    Now the VM is working.
    Just another question: can I enable again the secure boot? Or should I leave it disable?
    And also another small issue I think derived from some screen setting: When I disconnect the screen from the pc where ubuntu is installed, I can't reach it from remote control (anydesk). But if I re-connect the screen it starts to work again without any problem. I hope to have explained the problem. Do you have any suggestion?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Leave Secure Boot off or alternatively manually sign all the Virtualbox modules/drivers. Considering the latter is not for newbies, it's time consuming and for no tangible benefit, better disable it (Secure Boot is a UEFI feature, absent during the 40 years reign of BIOS).

Regarding Anydesk (or Teamviewer or anything else similar) I'm afraid that's exactly how it rolls: The remote access software needs a display server running in the remote machine and if the remote machine doesn't detect a video output it won't run the display server. There are workarounds, both software and hardware. Hardware, a "dummy dongle", is by far the easiest but it costs money and there isn't that much offer. By software the idea is to create a "dummy output" that can be used by the remote access software.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

use ssh or x2go for access to headless systems. ssh is much preferred and is required for x2go to work.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast