Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Virtualbox error in suplibOsInt

Thread moved to Virtualisation for a better fit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    How would you check if a file was in your HOME directory? Do that, just for the other location.
    There are 500 different ways.
    I'm sorry but I don't know any of the 500 ways to check...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ghezzi-alex View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't know any of the 500 ways to check...
    It wasn't a trick question. Do you have a file manager? Click on the directories until you are in /var/run/ . Is there a file inside there named "reboot-needed"? That's 1 method. All you are trying to determine is whether that file in that directory exists. Nothing more. It won't have anything inside it. If there isn't a file with that name - then you don't need to reboot. Simple. Elegant.

So ... there are 500 different ways to figure out if a file exists or not. Ok - perhaps there are 5 easy ways and all the other ways are less easy, less good. But who am I to tell you how to accomplish something so simple? I'm not into the GUI thing. I'd just use ls and know the answer in 3 seconds, but everyone is different.

Unix systems are built around files. Different files mean specific things and have specific purposes. There is a Standards document for what files belong where in every Linux system. It if very stable and has been for 20+ yrs. Google "File System Hierarchy Standards" .... the wikipedia article is more than sufficient 99.9% of the time, but the real document was last updated in 2015 if you need more details. This document doesn't say anything about the "reboot-needed" file, but it does say something about /var/run/ directory and the types of files that should be located there.

You could have just rebooted by now, right? Generally, rebooting isn't something I do, unless it is needed. Some people shutdown every night, so if you ran the commands yesterday and shutdown overnight - that the same result.

Beans

Sorry TheFu, I was thinking about a command line instead of looking in the directory... Now I do, and there were no file called reboot-needed. But Anyway I rebooted it because I had to change the server place.
    Now Istarted to follow the Oracle install instructions but after just one step I find a problem:
    After I added the
    Code:
    deb [arch=amd64] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian <xenial> contrib
    (I replaced 'mydist' with 'xenial' assuming this is the right one for my ubuntu server installation)
    but, as the attached screenshot shows, I realize there are 2 line with the same dowload...
    Is that normal?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Duplicate lines aren't good, but I don't think they are terrible. Only 1 line is needed.

Beans

OK, I'll try to remove one...
    But now I faced another issue.
    I'm connecting to the server through Anydesk since is not connected to a monitor. Since yesterday everything was working perfectly and I managed all the suggestion you gave me, from a laptop with Anydesk.
    Now, after few minutes of work, the server froze itself without any possibility to intervene.
    See attached a screenshot of what I see from the laptop... I tried to close the windows, to open the menù, to close forcing but nothing happened.
    The only way to do something, I think, is to shutdown the PC with the power button...
    I hope to had explained what's going on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use ssh to manage servers and have for 25 yrs.
    ssh is how all Unix-like OSes are managed remotely. There are thousands and thousands of how-to guides. For all the trouble, perhaps just buy a NAS that can do what you want?

Oh, and I really, really, hope you aren't using xenial. That's 16.04 and suppost ends in a few weeks. You should start with 20.04 today. That's an LTS, supported until April 2025. Don't use anything newer - until the next LTS is released in April 2022 (next year).

Beans

perhaps just buy a NAS that can do what you want?
    And were is the fan 😂😂😂?
    Oh, and I really, really, hope you aren't using xenial.
    If xenial is a GUI no. As suggested in an Italian forum, I installed Tasksel. Is it ok?
    Anyway to avoid the frozen problem above, what should I do?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ghezzi-alex View Post
    If xenial is a GUI no. As suggested in an Italian forum, I installed Tasksel. Is it ok?
    Anyway to avoid the frozen problem above, what should I do?
    Xenial --> 16.04. Nothing more. It doesn't say which flavor of Ubuntu (xubuntu, lubuntu, kubuntu, .... or ubuntu server) it is. 16.04 support ends in a few weeks. Run
    Code:
    $ lsb_release -a
    to see which release.

Beans

This is the output of the command
    Code:
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 20.10
    Release:    20.10
    Codename:    groovy
    looks like is the 20.10 release...
    Anyway I restarted the server in the brutal mode 😱😱😱, in order to operate in it..
    Looking at this link: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linu...xdistributions
    I'm not sure which distro I should indicate in the command line
    Code:
    deb [arch=amd64] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian <mydist> contrib
    Is it mine 'eoan', 'bionic', 'xenial', 'buster', 'stretch', or 'jessie' ?
    thanks again for your patience

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast