Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello and Goodbye

Beans

Hello and Goodbye

Well I just thought I would post a quick hello and goodbye.
    Quite frankly enough really is enough.

In important ways Linux is just to far behind to be useable for me.

All I wanted to do was to buy a graphics tablet but it is the same tired old story.

Check product is supported on Ubuntu/Linux.
    Manufacturer says no.
    Manufacturer says there are some drivers done by a community.
    I go to community page.
    Too much jargon I just do not understand.
    I search the forums and find unanswered questions, failed attempts and outdated posts.
    I go to youtube and find unclear videos with unclear voiceovers.

We all know the story! And so many that would love to use Linux are just fed up of it.

Its 2021 not 2001! Is it really too much to ask to be able to buy a graphics tablet and plug it in and it works WITHOUT being a linux programmer? Is it really? Take a step back and put your OS allegiances aside and ask yourself really - Is this too much to ask in 2021?

I LOVE the ethos of open source. I love it. But life is short and I no longer have the time and energy to be this frustrated whilst at the same time looking at the next Ubuntu release which has new wallpapers. Wow!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Hello and Goodbye

Not a technical support question. Moved to ULOS

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_The_Newbie View Post
    Is it really too much to ask to be able to buy a graphics tablet and plug it in and it works WITHOUT being a linux programmer?
    Not really, but please take your gripe to the hardware manufacturers whose job it is to provide drivers, rather than moaning at the members of the forum. As I am sure you aware, members here are end users just like yourself, and have absolutely no control over the availability of easy to use drivers, and are often just as frustrated as you are.
    Last edited by coffeecat; March 29th, 2021 at 05:25 PM.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Manufacturer says no.
    Found your problem.

Beans

It would be a worthwhile endeavour if all development stopped on Linux for 12months and all that time was spent on just writing drivers. It is easy to blame companies but something has to give and it doesnt look like too many companies are moving.

A publicity or awareness campaign perhaps.

The current model of operations in no way functions as good as it should.

Or is this the best Linux has to offer?
    Last edited by Neil_The_Newbie; March 29th, 2021 at 05:48 PM.

Beans

This isn't an airport. You don't need to announce your departure. Get over yourself

Beans

I think i just did exactly that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've had hardware abandoned by Windows a few times. That same hardware is supported by Linux and has been over 10 yrs. These were printers different type of scanners. Had modems and RAID cards lose support in Windows too.

I'm still using the RAID card, page scanner and negative scanner today. Windows dropped support w/ Vista.

It sucks when hardware we carefully pick isn't supported. Live and learn. Maybe consider using the same standard for all OSes? The hw vendors are to blame.

Beans

Maybe they are partly to blame. Maybe the linux community isnt shouting loud enough or organised enough to encourage change.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Maybe they are partly to blame. Maybe the linux community isnt shouting loud enough or organised enough to encourage change.
    Have you shouted at the manufacturers at all? Or just this group of equally frustrated users?
    You can be sure that the majority of users here vote with their wallets and don't buy from makers who don't bother to write Linux drivers. Will you? Or will you become part of the problem and buy any old make and use it with Windows? Even if you go back to Windows, you can be selective about what you buy.

We really could use more people shouting at the manufacturers (as you have noticed).

Beans

Manufacturer was my first port of call. I felt like a lone voice.
    My point being that the community need to at least organise a large voice or as hardware progresses linux will just have a bigger void apart from it. Not one graphics tablet manufacturer seems to provide drivers for linux for a tablet on the market to my knowledge. Not one. Why should they if its just the ocasional query to their tech support. But if a whole community shouted in unison maybe things would change. What can the average user do rather than learn how to write a driver. Something out of the majorities skill range.
    Its 2021 and i dont see the situation improving for years to come.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast