Thread: Email software reccomendation

Beans

Email software reccomendation

Please reccomend me a email client software which will instantly notify me when email arrive.

Beans

Re: Email software reccomendation

You can configure Mozilla Thunderbird to play a sound or pop up a notification on your desktop, or both.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In the olden days, we used something called xbiff. It was a tiny icon app that watched local /var/spool/mail directories for each userid to see if any new mail was delivered. There were 1 icons.
    • White mailbox - flag down.
    • Black mailbox - flag up.

xbiff didn't have any network smarts, it could only check local directories. My window manager at the time had an xbiff extension that placed the icon in a specific place.

These days, there's something called gnubiff. I just set it up and it is working with 4 imaps email accounts. During setup, the GUI seemed to forget the imap setting and reverted to pop3, but in the "preferences" that was easy to see and fix. It also had problems with one of my passwords that had unmatched single and double quote characters.

It "quacks" when new mail arrives and shows a summary for total and new for each account.

Thanks for the question. It got me to find this little tool. Running, it uses about 32Kb of RAM w/ only 10Kb resident.
    Last edited by TheFu; March 29th, 2021 at 04:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Whatever you choose for your email will need to be running all the time in order to keep checking for mail; if you open it to see your emails then shut it down again you will get no thunderbird (or any other application) notifications.

Beans

There is procmail.

With that one, you can make a rule to send you an email when you get an email...
    Last edited by HermanAB; March 31st, 2021 at 02:29 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    There is procmail.

With that one, you can make a rule to send you and email when you get an email...
    Ah!
    A snake swallowing its own tail situation.