Thread: Alt vs Shift and Ctrl

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Alt vs Shift and Ctrl

when i press and hold either the Shift or the Ctrl key and a letter a few times, the Shift or the Ctrl effect is applied to each letter press. however, when i press and hold the Alt key and a letter a few times, the held Alt key only applies to the first key press of a letter key. the 2nd and 3rd letter keys do not get the Alt modification. it's as if Xorg is putting that key in release state after the modification while iy is still being held. i have to physically release the Alt key and press and hold it a 2nd time to get Alt applied to the 2nd letter i press (a different letter). testing with xev shows that both Alt keys as well as both Shift and Ctrl keys have press and release events coming through, so Xorg is getting the events (and passing them through to the application). is this just happening in xfce4-terminal?

i should be able to hold either Alt key and do multiple key presses of any key Alt can apply to and have the Alt effect apply to all presses of that key (until i release the Alt key).
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweeter

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Alt vs Shift and Ctrl

Depends on your locale. If it's en-US it's indeed odd.
    For other locales it is normal.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Alt vs Shift and Ctrl

it is en-US. however there have been issues where some "things" that behaved as if en-UK and/or en-AU. maybe that is still happening.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweeter