Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i need find a new mail program

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i need find a new mail program

i need find a new mail program to replace Thunderbird which just got less friendly by losing the "Send" button on the email being written.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: i need find a new mail program

What do you mean???
    I do see the button in TB 78.7.1.
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

New email programs are available in Ubuntu software if you do not want to use Thunderbird anymore. Launch "Ubuntu software", then search for "mail" to see available options.

In Thunderbird, the send button is not gone. You however need to fill out an addressee first before the button works. Otherwise, you can also hit Ctrl+Enter to send a message.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I still see the "Send" button - upper left corner, just under the "File" menuitem.

Could be a font problem?

Beans

look at mailspring

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar Delest View Post
    What do you mean???
    I do see the button in TB 78.7.1.
    something must have reverted backwards for me. i have version 68.10.0. i wonder why.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

i have version 68.10.0
    i don't know, i would think any version should have a send button ?

Beans
    Distro

there is a "Send Now" selection in the "File" menu. it works. there used to be a "Send" button under "File". i did an upgrade 2 days ago and yesterday late evening was the first time in a few days i need to send email from that address. i just don't know what version was previously used. i need to see if i can find it in my logs.

i should set up a cron script to do "dpkg -l" every day and compare it to the latest saved copy. if it's the same, rm it. if it's different, save it as the new latest.

i've been thinking of moving that domain to a paid account at protonmail. i like their web mail interface. moving there means not using Thunderbird, any more at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    i should set up a cron script to do "dpkg -l" every day and compare it to the latest saved copy. if it's the same, rm it. if it's different, save it as the new latest.
    Well, you could add a
    Code:
    $dpkg --get-selections  > $local_backup/dpkg.list
    to your nightly backups so you have a list of all package which can be fed into the restored system as part of the recovery process. The problem with dpkg -l is that ALL packages are shown, not just the ones manually installed.
    Code:
    apt-mark showmanual  > $local_backup/manual-pkg.list
    is better for restore needs.
    BTW, why would any packages be updated without your approval? That confuses me.

IMHO, webmail is an abomination and not secure. But everyone has different requirements. If you care about security of email, use a think client with gpg encryption/certs built-in ... er ... like thunderbird. If you don't, use gmail or any webmail. If the message leaves your computer unencrypted, it isn't secure.

If running your
    • own mail server + thunderbird + gpg are 100 on the privacy/security scale and
    • using gmail+webmail are 30 (secure, but never private), then
    • protonmail is probably around 50 ; better than most, but still webmail with all the inherent flaws.

Just depends on what you need.
    Last edited by TheFu; March 28th, 2021 at 03:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro

i looked through my sent messages and found that the first that was sent from 68.10.0 was on 10 Jul 2020, more than 7 months ago. yet the "Send" button disappeared yesterday.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast