Thread: Can't open a program

Beans

Can't open a program

Hello everyone, I hope everyone is doing well at the moment.

I'm currently trying to open GRUB Customizer on Ubuntu Budgie, but it isn't opening. When a program doesn't, what I normally do is try to open it from the Terminal and respond to any errors that come up, usually by installing a file or program that the program depends on that isn't installed through apt.
    When I type 'grub-customizer' in the Terminal it says 'grub-customizer: error while loading libraries: libgtkmm-3.0.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'.
    I have used apt to search for this ('apt search libgtkmm-3.0') & 5 results came up: 'libgtkmm-2.4-dev', 'libgtkmm-2.4-doc', 'libgtkmm-3.0-1v5', 'libgtkmm-3.0-dev' & 'libgtkmm-3.0-doc'.
    I have installed all these packages, but it's still coming up with the same error - I've tried using search with a few less letters of the name to see if there are any more packages available, but nothing is coming up.

Could I have some help with this please?

Thanks
    Gregg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can't open a program

What did libgtkmm-3.0-1v5 install? It might just need a symbolic link from libgtkmm-3.0-1v5.so --> libgtkmm-3.0.so.1 in the same directory.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    What did libgtkmm-3.0-1v5 install? It might just need a symbolic link from libgtkmm-3.0-1v5.so --> libgtkmm-3.0.so.1 in the same directory.
    I honestly have no idea, I'm not sure what this is all about

Beans

On 20.4 and later grub-customizer is in the repositories and should have pulled in all it's dependencies when installed with 'sudo apt install grub-customizer'. How did you install grub-customizer ? If you downloaded it as a binary from somewhere, are you sure it's for the right architecture (amd64 vs i386) ? You can check for what architecture an installed binary is compiled using the 'file'-command ('file /usr/bin/grub-customizer').

@TheFu : the package libgtkmm-3.0-1v5 installs the library /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtkmm-3.0.so.1.1.0 and creates a link /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtkmm-3.0.so.1 in the same directory.

Holger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

What version of UB ? The gurb customizer sometimes doesn't work with the development version until the final release. Is this the PPA or application from the repository?
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

I installed it from the software centre. I then uninstalled it and tried installing with apt and I'm getting the same result.

Beans

Ubuntu Budgie 20.10, just the usual, stable consumer version

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Similar error on 21.04 , but GC did work with 20.10. If you need to change the boot order it can be done manually.

PPA , use at your own risk and remove any installed versions first.

https://linoxide.com/install-and-use...zer-on-ubuntu/
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

By any chance are you dual booting and want to make Windows the default option? If so then you can do this with command line very easily...