Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oracle VM and no shared folders

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Oracle VM and no shared folders

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Jußt a warning, but I think you'll find that 2G ram for Windows 8 might be insufficient though I've never used 8 so could be wrong; it is certainly not enough for Windows 10.
    Thanks, it certainly had performance issues, so that is probably why.

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    With 4 GB, I give 2.5 GB to Windows and keep the rest for the Linux host.
    Thanks, is there also a method to 'unload' the VirtualBox software, after I have used it ? Meaning if I gave it 2.5 Gb or even 3 Gb ram and made sure the Linux host apps were all closed, did the work/exports, exited the VM and then also killed any processes that still had the VM software running ?

As it turns out, the plan to erase an old laptop and install Win 8 or 10 on that, have now come to a halt. I had no end of problems with trying to use the Microsoft ISO and a purchashed key, plus it does seem the HDD is well on its way out. Whereas in the Virtualbox, installing Win 8.1 and even other MS software was a breeze, abeit a bit slow of course.

There are some good instructions at https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....3#post14028673 for installing the extension pack.

So, it may be back to the drawing board, and to now consider having yet another go at using the Virtualbox ...sigh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

is there also a method to 'unload' the VirtualBox software, after I have used it ? Meaning if I gave it 2.5 Gb or even 3 Gb ram and made sure the Linux host apps were all closed, did the work/exports, exited the VM and then also killed any processes that still had the VM software running ?
    If there isn't any VM running the Virtualbox's process memory usage is negligible. If you then close Virtualbox it's zero. There are no processes hanging just because you used Virtualbox and a VM.

If you're having another go at using Virtualbox make sure to follow the advice already given for the resources to allocate and other settings and yes, please install the matching Extension Pack before installing the VM. And after installing Windows with the ISO, remove it but DON'T remove the (virtual) CD drive. Then run Windows and use the Virtualbox's Devices menu > Insert Guest additions that should mount it as a (virtual) CD drive, open File Explorer and then that CD and run the installer (.exe).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    If there isn't any VM running the Virtualbox's process memory usage is negligible. If you then close Virtualbox it's zero. There are no processes hanging just because you used Virtualbox and a VM.
    Okay thanks for the clarification.

If you're having another go at using Virtualbox make sure to follow the advice already given for the resources to allocate and other settings and yes, please install the matching Extension Pack before installing the VM.
    Hmm, but I'm sure the guest additions install needs the VM installed and in place, it was something like "Device | Add" or similar, within the VM ?

And after installing Windows with the ISO, remove it but DON'T remove the (virtual) CD drive. Then run Windows and use the Virtualbox's Devices menu > Insert Guest additions that should mount it as a (virtual) CD drive, open File Explorer and then that CD and run the installer (.exe).
    Does that indicate that every time I run the guest inside the VM, I have to have the CD in the drive ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hmm, but I'm sure the guest additions install needs the VM installed and in place, it was something like "Device | Add" or similar, within the VM ?
    Extension Pack is NOT the same as guest additions.

The Extension Pack that, again, needs to match the Virtuabox's version is to be installed in the host, after installing Virtualbox. As the name suggests it's optional but knowing what it adds, namely support for USB3.0 and other perks, one could say it's de facto mandatory. I can't think of a reason to not install it.

Guest additions is something to be installed, if available, in the guest OS. It provides DRIVERS for the virtualized hardware, namely the virtual graphics card so you can use the VM full-screen.

I suspect this confusion is at the root of your predicament.

Does that indicate that every time I run the guest inside the VM, I have to have the CD in the drive ?
    No, like any other drivers installation it's to be done once.
    After running the installer and rebooting the VM you can remove the inserted Guest Additions CD.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Extension Pack is NOT the same as guest additions. ............... Guest Additions CD.
    Thanks for your help. Today was able to install Win 8.1 on the old laptop and get through a looping error by modifying the Registry. That means I have no need at present to install any VM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12